Logan City, Queensland
Logan River at Gieseman Park, 2014
|Location||42 km (26 mi) from Brisbane GPO|
Munruben is a locality in Logan City, Queensland, Australia. Once a rural community, it has been developed into a low density residential community. At the 2011 Australian Census the suburb recorded a population of 2,809.
The name Munruben comes from a property called Mun Rubens owned by grazier William Norris and is believed to be derived from the Bundjalung language for a local lagoon. The locality was officially named in 1991 (when it was in the Shire of Beaudesert).
Jerry's Downfall Reserve is located in the north-east of Munruben ( The name Jerry's Downfall has been in use since at least 1866. It has been suggested that he was a Kanaka from Robert Towns' cotton plantation at Townvale, who capsized a bullock dray of cotton while crossing Chambers Creek. It has also been suggested that the incident is connected to the Keaveny family. The Beaudesert Historical Society have erected a plaque at the reserve.). The name commemorates an early teamster who had an accident there.
In the 2011 Census the population of Munruben is 2,809, 48% female and 52% male.
The median/average age of the Munruben population is 38 years of age, 1 year above the Australian average.
77.6% of people living in Munruben were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 5.8%, New Zealand 5%, Germany 1%, Scotland 0.7%, South Africa 0.7%.
91.1% of people speak English as their first language 0.8% German, 0.7% Hmong, 0.5% Hindi, 0.5% Serbian, 0.4% Vietnamese.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Munruben (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Munruben (entry 45281)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Munruben". Suburbs. Logan City Council. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "BEAUDESERT ROAD.". The Brisbane Courier (National Library of Australia). 29 June 1928. p. 25. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "HUNDREDS FORCED TO LEAVE HOMES SURROUNDED BY SWIRLING FLOODS.". Sunday Mail (Brisbane: National Library of Australia). 26 January 1947. p. 1. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "FLOOD TRANSPORT BY AIR, LAND, SEA.". The Courier-Mail (Brisbane: National Library of Australia). 1 February 1951. p. 3. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "JERRYS DOWNFALL—AND OTHERS.". The Brisbane Courier (National Library of Australia). 6 January 1925. p. 6. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "No title.". The Darling Downs Gazette and General Advertiser (Toowoomba, Qld.: National Library of Australia). 13 December 1866. p. 3. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "When Cotton Was Grown by Darkies.". Sunday Mail (Brisbane: National Library of Australia). 18 July 1937. p. 34. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Veresdale". Suburbs. Logan City Council. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Munruben, Queensland.|