Logan City, Queensland
Logan River at Gieseman Park, 2014
|Population||2,871 (2016 census)|
|Location||42 km (26 mi) from Brisbane GPO|
Munruben is a locality in Logan City, Queensland, Australia. Once a rural community, it has been developed into a low density residential community. At the 2016 Australian Census the suburb recorded a population of 2,871.
The name Munruben comes from a property called Mun Rubens owned by grazier William Norris and is believed to be derived from the Bundjalung language for a local lagoon. The locality was officially named in 1991 (when it was in the Shire of Beaudesert).
Jerry's Downfall Reserve is located in the north-east of Munruben ( The name Jerry's Downfall has been in use since at least 1866. It has been suggested that he was a Kanaka from Robert Towns' cotton plantation at Townvale, who capsized a bullock dray of cotton while crossing Chambers Creek. It has also been suggested that the incident is connected to the Keaveny family. The Beaudesert Historical Society have erected a plaque at the reserve.). The name commemorates an early teamster who had an accident there.
The median age of the Munruben population was 38 years, 1 year above the national median of 37.
77.6% of people living in Munruben were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 5.8%, New Zealand 5%, Germany 1%, Scotland 0.7%, South Africa 0.7%.
91.1% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 0.8% German, 0.7% Hmong, 0.5% Hindi, 0.5% Serbian, 0.4% Vietnamese.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Munruben (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Munruben (entry 45281)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Munruben". Suburbs. Logan City Council. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "BEAUDESERT ROAD". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 29 June 1928. p. 25. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "HUNDREDS FORCED TO LEAVE HOMES SURROUNDED BY SWIRLING FLOODS". Sunday Mail. Brisbane: National Library of Australia. 26 January 1947. p. 1. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "FLOOD TRANSPORT BY AIR, LAND, SEA". The Courier-Mail. Brisbane: National Library of Australia. 1 February 1951. p. 3. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "JERRYS DOWNFALL—AND OTHERS". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 6 January 1925. p. 6. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "No title". The Darling Downs Gazette and General Advertiser. Toowoomba, Qld.: National Library of Australia. 13 December 1866. p. 3. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "When Cotton Was Grown by Darkies". Sunday Mail. Brisbane: National Library of Australia. 18 July 1937. p. 34. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Veresdale". Suburbs. Logan City Council. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Munruben (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Munruben, Queensland.|