|Based on||The Muppets|
by Jim Henson
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Executive producer(s)||Andrew Williams|
|Running time||22–24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||The Muppets Studio|
|Distributor||Disney Media Distribution|
|Original release||July 31, 2020 –|
Muppets Now is an American web television series produced by The Muppets Studio for Disney+. Directed by Kirk Thatcher, the series is an improvisational comedy based on The Muppets franchise by Jim Henson. It premiered on July 31, 2020.
Muppets Now is a series consisting of multiple different segments bridged together by a framing device featuring Scooter. The segments include a game show, a cooking show, and a talk show. The series was marketed as unscripted, but several writers are credited. The show sees the debut of two new characters, Joe the Legal Weasel and Beverly Plume.
The segments include:
- Lifesty(le) with Miss Piggy - Miss Piggy offers lifestyle tips with assistance from Uncle Deadly, Taye Diggs, Linda Cardellini, and various other Muppet and celebrity guests. The segment is divided into smaller segments including “Try it with Taye Diggs” in which Piggy and Taye Diggs try beauty regimes or exotic foods and “Le Chat Room” where Miss Piggy discusses the given topic with Linda Cardellini and two other muppets (usually one of which is a random non-anthropomorphic animal or anthropomorphic inanimate object). It appears in all episodes.
- Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ - Hosted by turkey Beverly Plume, the Swedish Chef competes against celebrity chefs. It appears in five of the six episodes.
- Muppet Masters - Walter discovers the Muppets' hidden talents. It appears in episodes 1 and 5
- Mup Close and Personal - A different Muppet each time attempts to have an in-depth conversation with a celebrity guest. It appears in episodes 1, 4, and 6.
- Muppet Labs Field Test - Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker take their experiments out into the open. These are preceded by safety warnings with Kermit and Joe the Legal Weasel. Parts of the segments feature animated muppets as famous historical figures. It appears in all episodes except the first.
- Pepe's Unbelievable Game Show - Scooter has came up with a long list of rules for Pepe the King Prawn's game show, but Pepe himself would rather just make it up as he goes along, to Scooter's annoyance. It appears in episodes 2, 3 and 5.
- Matt Vogel as
- Eric Jacobson as
- Dave Goelz as
- Bill Barretta as
- Pepe the King Prawn, the host of "Pepe's Unbelievable Game Show".
- The Swedish Chef, a chef who is the star of "Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ".
- Big Mean Carl, a green monster who’ll eat anything and everything.
- Howard Tubman, a rich pig and RuPaul superfan who appears in the first episode, interrupting Kermit's interview with his idol.
- Bubba the Rat, a butch rat and friend of Yolanda.
- Bobo the Bear, an absent-minded, easy-going bear.
- Dr. Teeth, the leader and keyboardist of The Electric Mayhem.
- David Rudman as
- Scooter, the co-host of "Pepe's Unbelievable Game Show" and the producer of Muppets Now whose job is to upload the show onto Disney+ in time.
- Beaker, the co-host of Muppet Labs Field Test and the victim of Bunsen's experiments.
- Janice, the guitarist of The Electric Mayhem.
- Miss Poogy, a member of the Moopets and Miss Piggy's doppelgänger.
- Peter Linz as
- Walter, the host of "Muppet Masters".
- Statler, an elderly critic.
- Link Hogthrob
- Joe the Legal Weasel, the Muppets' new legal counsel. His main role in the series is in segments preceding “Muppet Labs Field Test” where he and Kermit warn the viewers to not try Bunsen and Beaker’s experiments at home.
- Robin the Frog, Kermit's nephew.
- Beepalyzer, a lonely, outdated computer who appears in the third installment of "Muppet Labs Field Test".
- Foo-Foo, Miss Piggy’s pet dog.
- Julianne Buescher as
- Yolanda the Rat
- Beverly Plume, a turkey who is the host of "Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ". She also appears in the fifth installment of “Lifestyle with Miss Piggy”.
- Margaret, a Whatnot beautician who appears in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy".
- Rosie the Sheep, who appears in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy".
- Beak-R, Bunsen's new high tech assistant who appears in the first instalment “Muppet Labs Field Test”.
- Priscilla the Chicken
- Brie the Cheese
- Elena the Penguin
- Some Bunny
- A Screaming Goat
- Mary the Cow
- Piotr Michael as the announcer for “Mup Close and Personal” (voice)
- Matthew Barnette as a Delivery Man
- Cissy Jones
- Carolyn Gardner as the voice of the customer service operator for the "High Pressure Helpline"
Contestants on “Pepe’s Unbelievable Gameshow"
- Brie Carter
- Artoun Nazerith
- Daniel Montgomery
- Niko Posey
- Edward Mawere
- Karina Yzobel
- Taye Diggs
- Linda Cardellini
- Carlina Will
- Danny Trejo
- Roy Choi
- Al Madrigal
- Aubrey Plaza
- Guiseppe Losavio
- Marina Michelson
- Seth Rogen
On May 21, 2019, it was reported that Disney was developing a 10-minute short series based on The Muppets. The series was set to be an improvised situation comedy featuring three segments. On August 23, 2019, the series was officially announced under the title Muppets Now. On December 22, 2019, director Kirk Thatcher said that the series will approach "three different types of shows".
Season 1 (2020)
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Due Date"||Christopher Alender, Rufus Scot Church & Vito Massaro||Story team: Matthew Barnette, Marcos Gabriel, Jim Lewis, Jamilyn Rosalas, Noah Smith, Joanna Truman, Andrew Williams & Kelly Younger||July 31, 2020|
Scooter uploads the videos for the Muppets' newest show on a tight deadline while receiving messages from his co-workers. Miss Piggy discusses personal style with Uncle Deadly, Taye Diggs, Janice, Rosie the Sheep, and Linda Cardellini in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy". Walter reveals Kermit's hidden talent for photobombing in "Muppet Masters". The Swedish Chef and Carlina Will compete against each other to make the best curry in "Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ". Kermit attempts to interview RuPaul in "Mup Close and Personal", but is constantly interrupted by the other Muppets.Guest stars: Linda Cardellini, Taye Diggs, RuPaul, and Carlina Will
|2||"Fever Pitch"||Rufus Scot Church & Vito Massaro||Story team: Matthew Barnette, Marcos Gabriel, Jim Lewis, Jamilyn Rosalas, Noah Smith, Joanna Truman, Andrew Williams & Kelly Younger||August 7, 2020|
Scooter has to deal with Fozzie bombarding him with pitches while trying to get the segments up online in time. Pepe drives Scooter crazy with his made-up rules in the first installment of "Pepe's Unbelievable Game Show" with help from Beauregard, Carol, and Gonzo and his chickens. The Swedish Chef competes against Danny Trejo to make the best taco in "Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ". Dr. Bunsen Honeydew experiments with melting and burning with his new high-tech assistant Beak-R and a jealous Beaker in "Muppet Labs Field Tests". Miss Piggy discusses health with Uncle Deadly, Taye Diggs, Bobo the Bear, Yolanda Rat, Bubba the Rat, Camilla the Chicken, and Linda Cardellini in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy".Guest stars: Linda Cardellini, Taye Diggs, and Danny Trejo
|3||"Getting Testy"||Rufus Scot Church & Vito Massaro||Story team: Matthew Barnette, Marcos Gabriel, Jim Lewis, Jamilyn Rosalas, Noah Smith, Joanna Truman, Andrew Williams & Kelly Younger||August 14, 2020|
Scooter is forced by Joe to host a test-screening for the segments, and the test audience turns out to be Statler and Waldorf. The Swedish Chef helps Roy Choi cook a Kalbi rice bowl with kimchi in "Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ". Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker have some experiments on velocity with the assistance of a pizza delivery man in "Muppet Labs Field Tests". Miss Piggy discusses relationships with Uncle Deadly, Taye Diggs, Kermit, Beaker, Brie the Cheese, and Linda Cardellini in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy". Pepe continues to be unpredictable on "Pepe's Unbelievable Game Show" with Miss Piggy and Big Mean Carl's help.Guest stars: Linda Cardellini, Taye Diggs, Roy Choi, and Al Madrigal
|4||"Sleep Mode"||Rufus Scot Church & Vito Massaro||August 21, 2020|
Scooter gets Animal's help to keep him awake to upload the videos after he pulled an all-nighter. Miss Piggy interviews Aubrey Plaza in "Mup Close and Personal", but she gets too distracted by her looks, forcing Uncle Deadly to get the footage they need. Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker, and their old and lonely computer, the Beepalyzer, experiment with sound vibrations in "Muppet Labs Field Tests". The Swedish Chef competes against Guiseppe Losavio to make the best spaghetti in "Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ". Miss Piggy discusses self care with Uncle Deadly, Taye Diggs, Miss Poogy, Elena, Pepe, and Linda Cardellini in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy".Guest stars: Linda Cardellini, Taye Diggs, Aubrey Plaza, and Guiseppe Losavio
|5||"The I.T. Factor"||Christopher Alender, Rufus Scot Church & Vito Massaro||August 28, 2020|
Scooter attempts to overcome the several technical difficulties that come with a system update while uploading the sketches. Miss Piggy discusses travel with Uncle Deadly, Taye Diggs, the Swedish Chef, Foo-Foo, Beverly Plume, some bunny, and Linda Cardellini in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy". Walter unveils Uncle Deadly's hidden talent for stage combat in "Muppet Masters". There's another unpredictable installment of "Pepe's Unbelievable Game Show" with the help of a screaming goat, two cacti, and the Swedish Chef. Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker experiment with pressure in "Muppet Labs Field Test".Guest stars: Linda Cardellini and Taye Diggs
|6||"Socialized"||Christopher Alender, Rufus Scot Church & Vito Massaro||September 4, 2020|
Robin makes Scooter co-moderator on the Muppets social media accounts, forcing him to deal with multiple notifications while uploading the videos. Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker experiment with chemical reactions as Joe makes sure they meet legal standards in "Muppet Labs Field Test". The Swedish Chef and Marina Michelson present their unique takes on meatballs in "Økėÿ Døkęÿ Køøkïñ". Fozzie tries to interview Seth Rogen while babysitting a pair of mischievous babies in "Mup Close and Personal". Miss Piggy discusses treating yourself with Uncle Deadly, Taye Diggs, Walter, Esther, Mary the cow, and Linda Cardellini in "Lifestyle with Miss Piggy".Guest stars: Linda Cardellini, Taye Diggs, Marina Michelson, and Seth Rogen
On August 23, 2019, during the series' official announcement, a promotional teaser featuring Kermit the Frog and a Muppet named Joe the Legal Weasel was shown at the D23 Expo. On January 1, 2020, footage of the series was released in a video featuring original Disney+ content set to be released through the year. The official trailer was released on June 24, 2020.
On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the series has an approval rating of 69% based on 51 reviews, with an average rating of 6.52/10. The critical consensus reads, "Though Muppets Now's formulaic sketches fail to showcase The Muppets' chaotic charms, it's entertaining enough to suggest that with looser reins - and a lot more music - it could become the best reboot in years." On Metacritic, the series has a weighted average score of 68 out of 100, based on 26 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "EXCLUSIVE: Muppets Variety Shorts Coming To Disney+". The DisInsider. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- 'The Muppets' Short-Form Series Coming to Disney Plus
- GalaxyCon Louisville
- Kirk Thatcher official website
- Disney+ Media Relations (June 17, 2020). "Next on Disney+: July 2020". Disney+. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- Disney+ Media Relations (July 16, 2020). "Next on Disney+: August 2020". Disney+. Retrieved July 17, 2020.
- "What's Coming To Disney+ In September". What's on Disney Plus. August 31, 2020. Retrieved 6 September 2020.
- Coogan, Devan (May 20, 2020). "Disney+ will get Muppetational with new Muppets Now series in July". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- What's Coming to Disney+ in 2020
- Romano, Nick (June 24, 2020). "RuPaul dishes with Miss Piggy in trailer for Muppets Now Disney+ show". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved June 24, 2020.
- "Muppets Now (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved August 24, 2020.
- "Muppets Now Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 14, 2020.