A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Education||Karachi Academy, Delhi College, National College of Arts (NCA) & Ohio State University|
|Alma mater||Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, US, PhD in Progress|
|Occupation||professor, Researcher, Filmmaker, Animator, media artist, Interaction designer, Musician & Herbalist|
|First Pakistani vfx artist who started working in the Hollywood film industry in 1996.|
|Spouse(s)||Minakshi Malla (m. 2002)|
|Children||Sarah Iman Khan|
|Awards||Pride of Pakistan Award – Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development|
Muqeem Khan (Urdu: مقیم خان) Pride of Pakistan (born 1968) is the first Pakistani who started working in the Hollywood visual effects industry in 1996. He is an animator, artist, interaction designer, percussionist, filmmaker and academician. As a student at National College of Arts (NCA), Muqeem developed passion for computer graphics nearly twenty-five years ago in his early student life by doing some compositions and screen credits in BASIC language on IBM XT, ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 computers.
Armageddon- December 1998 (USA) Visual effects, Dream Quest Images, The Walt Disney Company, California • Sparks, fire and debris for the exploding shuttle • Effect animation for the debris and rocks• Gases and Asteroids
Flubber- November 1997 (USA) Visual effects, Dream Quest Images, The Walt Disney Company, California• Visual effects for clouds and wisps • Compositing and digital elements for the 3D environment
Beside filmmaking and other creative genres such as poetry, calligraphy and painting, Khan also loves music and as a percussionist, he has been performing Tabla with various Musicians around the world. He is a frequent presenter and speaker on VFX in motion pictures, animation and emerging technologies.
He has presented his research in conferences such as 'ACM Graphite' in Singapore, 'Information Visualization' in London, VIEW Conferences in Italy, ascilite conference in Australia, TED@Doha Summit, 'Computers in Education' in New Zealand and International Games Innovation Conference (IGIC) in New York City. Muqeem has also served as a member of technical committee, IASTED, The International Association of Science and Technology Development, Alberta, Canada and member of the Editorial Board for "Design Behaviors", the College of Design, Hanyang University and Design Research & Education Lab, Korea. He has also served as a program committee member for IGIC 2012 – International Games Innovation Conference.
He has received his Master of Arts (MA) in industrial design in 1996 with specialization in computer graphics and animation from Advanced Computing Center for Arts and Design (ACCAD) and the Department of Design at Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio. He also obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Design from the same university in 1994. His research interests include the use of emerging haptic and motion detecting techniques in the context of Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) and Digital Intangible Heritage. Besides teaching interactive design, graphic design, interior design and concepts for emerging technologies at Virginia Commonwealth University and Northwestern University in Qatar, Khan has been teaching predominantly 2D and 3D animation classes for over 12 years in the Persian Gulf region. As a PhD researcher, his research interests include the use of emerging motion-detecting techniques in the context of Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH). He has been awarded research grants such as Undergraduate Research Experience Program (UREP) in 2011 and in 2013 National Priorities Research Program (NPRP) from Qatar National Research Funds (QNRF).
VFX animation and mixed reality experimentation
VFX in Motion Pictures - 1996-2001
Arabic Sword Dance (Al Ardha) - 2012
Planet Earth - Short Animation - 2005
Calligraphy on 4X3 feet Clear Glass - For more work:http://www.muqeemkhan.com/artsDesign.html
Calligraphy Work on a Clear Grass with Marker - For more work:http://www.muqeemkhan.com/artsDesign.html
- opf.org.pk https://opf.org.pk/quick-links/pride-of-pakistan/muqeem-khan/. Retrieved 25 February 2019. Missing or empty
- • Animation in Pakistani feature films, The Express Tribune, Lahore, Pakistan, January, 2011.
- • Presentation, "Preserving our Past with Toys of the Futurea", TED@Doha Summit, Doha, Qatar, April, 2012., February 25, 2013
- • "Bright future for gaming industry", Gulf Times, Qatar, April 2012.
- • "Blending Real With Virtual", Qatar Tribune, Doha, Qatar, May, 2009.
- • "Digital age in Pakistan not a distant dream", The News, Karachi, Pakistan, January, 2011.
- • Final-Fantasy-the-Spirits-Within – Cast, Crew, Director and Awards – NYTimes.com. (n.d.). Retrieved September 11, 2013, from http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/246683/Final-Fantasy-the-Spirits-Within/credits
- • "Total realism with computer graphics no distant dream", Qatar Tribune, Doha, Qatar, March, 2013., February 25, 2013
- • Interview: Muqeem Khan, Animator, Newsline, Karachi, Pakistan, April., 2010.
- • "Horoof-e-Moqatiat", Calligraphy Work, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar Faculty Exhibition, VCUQ Gallery, Doha, Qatar, Dec., 2007.
- • "Muqeem Khan by Muqeem Khan", Animation, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar Faculty Exhibi- tion, VCUQ Gallery, Doha, Qatar, Dec., 2007.
- • "Platform Expo brings gaming experts to Doha
- • Background Music Design, "Kingdom of Women," by Amna Khaishgi, MOSAIC South Asian Festival. Missis- sauga, August 2012.
- • KINGDOM OF WOMEN
- • Associate Professor in Residence – Northwestern University in Qatar.
- • Assistant Professor of Graphic & Interior Design – Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar.
- • Assistant Professor of Digital Design – School of Architecture & Design, American University of Sharjah, UAE.
- • Muqeem Khan – News1 Morning Masala
- • Pragmatised Emotions: The Art of the Future Designers
- • PEF seminar highlights secret of visual effect, animation
- • Animation expert gives tips to students
- • Zooming In: Our man in Hollywood
- • GAMEON-ARABIA'2012, December 10–12, 2012, AOU, Muscat, Oman, Conference Tutorial
- • Final Fantasy Credits
- FatimaHasanZaidi (16 January 2018). "Sherdil Premiere Launch". Fatima Hasan Zaidi. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- • "Awarded as a Collaborative Faculty, Qatar Foundation Undergraduate Research Experience Program (UREP), "Integration of Sensors and Data Acquisition for a Motorized Wheel Chair Simulator Platform with a Virtual Environment," Faculty Research Collaboration with Texas A&M University at Qatar Doha, 2011– 2012.
- • "Muqeem Khan (2013), Awarded as a Lead Principal Investigator (LPI), National Priorities Research Program (NPRP), "Kinesthetic Learning System for Arabic Indigenous Dances," Qatar, 2013.
- Meet the first Pakistani visual effects artist in Hollywood, The Express Tribune, September 2015.
- India’s Best Design Studio Jury panel, POOL, international design magazine from India, May 2015.
- Visual Wizardry: Pakistani’s Creating Visual Effects Magic, House of Pakistan, January 2015.
- ADDING LIFE TO PICTURES, Daily Tribune, Manama, Bahrain, April 2014.
- Virtual Ardha & Future of Technology, Qatar Tribune, Doha Qatar, March 2014.
- TED@Doha " Muqeem Khan: Playful technology to keep cultural heritage alive
- Preserving the sword dance, The Peninsula, Doha, Qatar, May 2013.
- TECHNICALLY SPEAKING..., Society, Doha, Qatar, May 2013.
- Bright future for gaming industry, Gulf Times, Qatar, April 2012.
- All there for a robust film industry: Experts", Peninsula, Doha, Qatar, Oct 2011.
- DTFF to screen six films made by NU-Q students", Peninsula, Doha, Qatar, Oct 2011.
- Combine Design Thinking with Digital Technology, Slogan, Karachi Pakistan, January 2011.
- Muqeem to bridge cultural gap, Technology Marketing Corporation (TMC), CT, USA, September 2012.
- Visualisation contest winners awarded, Qatar tribune, Qatar, May 2012.
- Platform expo brings gaming experts to Doha, Gulf Times, Qatar, May 2012.
- TAMUQ awards winners of visualisation contest, Gulf Times, Qatar, April 2012.
- UAE-based filmmaker makes it to Cannes, The Gulf Today, United Arabs Emirates, April 2012.
- Platform Doha gaming expo, TimeOut Doha, Qatar, April 2012.
- DTFF to screen six films made by NU-Q students, Peninsula, Doha, Qatar, Oct 2011.