Murattu Kaalai (2012 film)
|Directed by||K. Selva Bharathy|
|Produced by||Amirtham Gunanidhi|
|Written by||S. P. Muthuraman
K. Selva Bharathy
|Music by||Srikanth Deva|
|Edited by||Praveen K. L.
Srikanth N. B.
|Distributed by||Ayngaran International|
Murattu Kaalai (English: Raging Bull) is a 2012 Tamil action film directed by K. Selva Bharathy. A remake of the Murattu Kaalai (1980 film) , it stars Sundar C. and Sneha in the lead roles. The film, which had been under production since 2008, released on 15 June 2012. It failed to taste the Success of the 80,s hit Murattu Kaalai. It has been dubbed in Hindi as Return Of Joshilay.
Kaalaiyan (Sundar C) is a simple person and the best Jallikattu (Bullfight) player in his village. His world revolves around his four younger brothers. The antagonist is Varadharajan (Suman), a Zamindar from the neighbouring village who lives an extravagant lifestyle. His close aide is a Transgender Saroja (Vivek). Varadharajan's sister (Sindhu Tolani) falls for the macho Kaalaiyan when he wins a Jallikattu.
In the meantime, Bhuvana (Sneha), on the run, after Varadharajan falls for her charm and tries to molest her, takes refuge in Kaalaiyan's house. However, Varadharajan decides to marry his sister to Kaalaiyan with an eye on his land. On the day of marriage, when Kaalaiyan comes to know that the bride wants to split the bond between the brothers, he calls off the marriage. Kaalaiyan takes a liking for Bhuvana and the inevitable happens – romance blossoms. What follows is predictable but there comes a surprise in the form of Saroja in the climax.
- Sundar C. as Kaalaiyan
- Sneha as Bhuvana
- Sindhu Tolani as Priya
- Suman as Varadharajan
- Vivek as Saroja
- Meenal as Saroja's maid
- Periya Karuppu Thevar as Saroja's Grandfather
In September 2008, it was revealed that Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s grandson Gunanidhi was set to produce a remake of AVM Productions’s 1980 film, Murattu Kaalai. Sundar C was roped in to play the lead role, while Suman would play the villain role done by Jayashankar, and Suralirajan’s comedy will be taken over by Vivek, in the venture to be directed by Selvabharathy. The team initially hoped to begin production in December 2008 and release the film on 14 April 2009. Sneha was soon after assigned to play the lead female role, while Samiksha was also selected to play another leading role. However during the first schedule in Pollachi, Samiksha was replaced by Sindhu Tolani for unknown reasons and the team subsequently completed two full schedules by January 2009. However Ayngaran International's financial crisis meant that Murattu Kaalai along with their other productions became stuck. The film re-emerged when Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, M. Karunanidhi launched the audio of the film on 18 September 2010, which was received by actor Vikram and the film was expected to be released by 12 November 2010, but eventually did not.
The film subsequently remained completed by unreleased due to Ayngaran International's financial problems which had also stopped the release of other films such as Arjunan Kadhali and Kalavadiya Pozhudugal. The film finally was promoted and released by the production house on 15 June 2012.
|1.||"Phodhuvaaga En Manasu Thangam"||Naveen|
|2.||"Punnagai Enna Vilai"||Hariharan, Shraviya|
|3.||"Sundara Purusha"||Simbhu, Anuradha Sriram|
The film received mixed to negative reviews. Times of India rated the movie 3/5 stating that, "Still, the good news here is that, surprisingly, 'Murattu Kaalai' isn't a disaster and works to an extent. But the bad news is that this is an entirely pointless remake with hardly anything new to offer". Anupama Subramanian of "Deccan Chronicle" rated the movie 2.5/5 praising Vivek's and Sundar.C's performances and stated that the movie is "Watchable Once".
Rohit Ramachandran of Nowrunning.com rated it 1/5 calling the film "sickening." Sify rated the movie as "Below Average" praising Santonio Terzio's work. Vivek Ramz of in.com rated Murattu Kaalai 2/5 calling it "a poor remake" and added that it's an example of how not to remake an old blockbuster. Camera work of Santonio Terzio was appreciated overall.
- "Sneha's first release post marriage". IndiaGlitz. 9 June 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "'Murattu Kaalai' coming soon – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Now Kalaignar TV too gets into production!". Sify.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Samiksha in 'Murattu Kaalai' – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2008-12-26. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Cinema Plus / Columns : Samiksha's out". The Hindu. 2009-01-16. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- TNN 15 Sep 2010, 12.00 am IST (2010-09-15). "Sundar C's in a dilemma – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "It's CM for Sundar C again – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2010-09-15. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Ayngaran International". Ayngaran.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Murattu Kaalai Review by TOI".
- "Murattu Kaalai Review by DC".
- "Murattukalai Review – Tamil Movie Review by Rohit Ramachandran". Nowrunning.com. 2012-06-16. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Murattu Kaalai Review by Sify".
- "Murattu Kaalai Review by in".