Murder Was the Case
|Murder Was the Case|
|Soundtrack album by Snoop Doggy Dogg and Various Artists|
|Released||October 15, 1994|
|Snoop Doggy Dogg compilation chronology|
|Singles from Murder Was the Case|
Murder Was the Case is a 1994 short film and soundtrack album starring and performed by Snoop Doggy Dogg. The 18 minute film was directed by Dr. Dre and Fab Five Freddy and chronicles the fictional death of Snoop Dogg and his resurrection after making a deal with the Devil. The film's title comes from Snoop's song of the same name from his debut album, Doggystyle, which was released a year earlier.
The single "What Would You Do" was included on the Natural Born Killers soundtrack and was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group in the 38th Annual Grammy Awards in 1996. The album was re-released with a bonus DVD containing 3 music videos on July 11, 2006.
Tupac Shakur was paid $200,000 by Death Row Records owner Suge Knight to record a song for the album, but the track ("Life's So Hard" featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg) was never used on the official soundtrack release. However, it was later released on the soundtrack for Gang Related after his death.
- Rolling Stone (12/29/94-1/12/95, p. 178) - "...[It] isn't the trailblazer that Dre's The Chronic was last year. But it is rap very nearly as strong. Featuring West Coast stalwarts...and new discoveries..., Dre and Dat Nigga Daz present gangsta- and R&B-infected fare that slams..."
- Entertainment Weekly (11/11/94, p. 76) - "...confirms...Dr. Dre as the new king of pop. In addition to the ominous remix of Snoop's title song, Dre reunites with Ice Cube...Dre's G-funk sound may be the hardest in the land, but it's also the most gut-wrenchingly soulful..." - Rating: A
- Q magazine (1/95, p. 258) - 3 Stars - Good - "...While most ears will be tuned to the bile'n'beats of `Natural Born Killaz'...the best track here is from Snoop's young protege, Nate Dogg....One of West Coast rap's more imaginative albums."
- The Source (1/95, p. 85) - 4 Stars - Slammin' - "...while Jodeci duets with Tha Dogg Pound and an all-star cast to try their hand at the G-Funk sound, Dre begins plotting his next move...heavy-metal bass meets chunky keyboards..."
- NME (12/24/94, p. 23) - Ranked #8 in NME's list of the 10 best compilation albums of 1994.
- NME (10/15/94, p. 53) - 7 - Very Good - "...anyone expecting this to signal Dre's decline is kidding themselves. Murder Was the Case shows the old dogg has plenty of new tricks..." 
In the United States, on the chart dated November 5, 1994, Murder Was the Case debuted on the Billboard 200 at number one, powered by first week sales 329,000 units. The album opened at the top spot of the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
The following week it stayed on top with 197,000 copies sold and was certified Gold. The album is certified 2x platinum with 2,030,000 copies sold.
|1.||"Murder Was the Case (Remix)" (Snoop Doggy Dogg)||D. Arnaud, A. Young, C. Broadus, W. Griffin III, R. Trawick||Dr. Dre||4:20|
|2.||"Natural Born Killaz" (Dr. Dre & Ice Cube)||A. Young, O. Jackson||Dr. Dre, Sam Sneed (co.)||4:51|
|3.||"What Would U Do?" (Tha Dogg Pound featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg, Big Pimpin' Delemond & Jewell)||D. Arnaud, R. Brown, B. Delemond, C. Broadus, J. Caples||Dat Nigga Daz||5:08|
|4.||"21 Jumpstreet" (Snoop Doggy Dogg & Tray Deee)||C. Broadus, T. Davis||Dat Nigga Daz||5:26|
|5.||"One More Day" (Nate Dogg)||N. Hale||Dat Nigga Daz||5:18|
|6.||"Harvest for the World" (Jewell)||E. Isley, M. Isley, K. Isley, R. Isley, R. Isley, C. Jasper||Dr. Dre||3:52|
|7.||"Who Got Some Gangsta Shit?" (Snoop Doggy Dogg featuring Tha Dogg Pound, Lil Style and Young Swoop G)||R. Gillion, C. Broadus, R. Brown, D. Arnaud||Soopafly||5:28|
|8.||"Come When I Call" (Danny Boy)||D. Blake||DJ Quik||4:55|
|9.||"U Better Recognize" (Sam Sneed featuring Dr. Dre)||S. Anderson||Sam Sneed||3:54|
|10.||"Come Up to My Room" (Jodeci featuring Tha Dogg Pound)||C. Hailey, J. Hailey, D. DeGrate, D. DeGrate, R. Brown, D. Arnaud||Dat Nigga Daz, DeVante Swing (co.)||4:37|
|11.||"Woman to Woman" (Jewell)||J. Banks, C. Marion, K. Thigpen||DJ Quik, G-One, Jewell||5:18|
|12.||"Dollaz + Sense" (DJ Quik)||D. Blake, G. Archie||DJ Quik||5:53|
|13.||"The Eulogy" (Slip Capone & CPO feat. Kurupt)||San Man||4:48|
|14.||"Horny" (B-Rezell)||M. McWilliams, T. Wrice||Kevin Lewis, Marc McWilliams||4:41|
|15.||"Eastside-Westside" (Hidden track, Young Soldierz)||Big Wy, Lil Stretch||4:45|
- "Nobody Can Be You (But You)" by Steve Arrington
Who Got That Gangsta Shit"'
Come When I Call
- "Let Me Love You" by Michael Henderson
Woman to Woman
- "Woman to Woman" by Shirley Brown
Dollaz & Sense
- "I Like (What You're Doing to Me)" by Young & Company
- "Dazz" by Brick
- Executive Producer: Suge Knight
- Soundtrack director: Dr. Dre
- Overseer: Dat Nigga Daz.
- Recorded at Can-Am Studios
- Mixed at Dr. Dre's studio
- Death Row Engineers: Kesten Wright, Tommy D. Daugherty & Danny Alfonso & HDzuong
- Photographers: Yoko Sato, Simone Green
- Jeremy Messersmith with Andy Thompson performed a cover of "Murder Was the Case" at The Cake Shop in Minneapolis, MN for a 'Murder and Death' concept show on 1/10/2010.
- South Park Mexican's song "Woodson N' Worthin" is a cover of "Murder Was the Case".
- Don Vito and Mad DPS covered the song on the 2008 compilation album The Triple-Six Mixtape.
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Snoop Dogg – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Snoop Dogg.
- "Snoop Dogg – Chart history" Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums for Snoop Dogg.
- "Billboard 200 albums year end 1994". Billboard.
- "Canadian album certifications – Various artists – Murder Was The Case - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – Snoop Doggy Dogg – Murder Was the Case". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
II by Boyz II Men
|Billboard 200 number-one album
November 5–18, 1994
MTV Unplugged in New York by Nirvana