|Predecessor||CH Murphy & Co.|
|Founder||Charles H. Murphy Sr.|
|Headquarters||El Dorado, Arkansas, United States|
Claiborne P. Deming, Chairman|
Roger Jenkins, CEO
|175.6 thousand barrels of oil equivalent (1,074,000 GJ) per day|
|Revenue||$1.809 billion (2016)|
|-$0.273 billion (2016)|
|-$0.275 billion (2016)|
|Total assets||$10.295 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||$4.916 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
Murphy Oil Corporation is a petroleum and natural gas exploration company headquartered in El Dorado, Arkansas. The company also has operating offices in Houston, Texas, Calgary, Alberta, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
As of December 31, 2016, the company had 684 million barrels of oil equivalent (4.18×109 GJ) of estimated proved reserves, of which 48% was petroleum, 48% was natural gas, and 5% was natural gas liquids.
The company's developed reserves are in the United States, Canada, and Malaysia. The company also has undeveloped reserves in Australia, Brunei, Vietnam, Namibia, Indonesia, Equatorial Guinea, and Spain.
The company was founded in 1944 as CH Murphy & Co by Charles H. Murphy Sr. and incorporated in Louisiana in 1950.
In 2017, the company acquired acreage offshore Brazil.
El Dorado Promise
In January 2007, Murphy announced that it would set aside $50 million to ensure that every student graduating from the El Dorado, Arkansas school system would be able to afford college. The scholarship, which requires that students spend a certain number of years in the El Dorado school system and maintain a 2.0 grade point average while in college, pays tuition and all mandatory fees for students, up to the highest annual rate charged by an Arkansas public university. Scholarship amounts are paid based on length of attendance in the El Dorado Public School District. For example, graduates who attend all 13 years at El Dorado Public Schools will receive 100% of the scholarship.
- Murphy Oil Corporation 2016 Form 10-K Annual Report
- "Murphy Oil Acquires Acreage Offshore Republic of Congo" (Press release). Business Wire. May 13, 2003.
- "Company to Sell Most Canadian Gas and Oil Fields". Reuters. The New York Times. April 9, 2004.
- "Murphy Oil to sell Superior refinery to Calumet". Reuters. July 26, 2011.
- "Valero Energy to Purchase Murphy's Meraux Refinery" (Press release). Business Wire. September 1, 2011.
- "Murphy Oil Corporation Completes Spin-off of Murphy USA Inc" (Press release). Business Wire. August 30, 2013.
- "Murphy Oil completes spinoff of downstream unit". Oil & Gas Journal. August 30, 2013.
- "MURPHY OIL CORPORATION CLOSES SYNCRUDE DIVESTITURE" (Press release). Globe Newswire. June 24, 2016.
- "Murphy Oil Corporation Announces Strategic Entry into Deep Water Brazil" (Press release). Business Wire. September 27, 2017.
- "Arkansas: Oil Company Promises Millions in Scholarships". New York Times. January 23, 2007.
- El Dorado Promise
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Murphy Oil.|