|Full name||Murray William Goodwin|
11 December 1972|
|Nickname||Muzza, Fuzz, Goodie|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Test debut (cap 37)||7 January 1998 v Sri Lanka|
|Last Test||1 June 2000 v England|
|ODI debut (cap 52)||22 January 1998 v Sri Lanka|
|Last ODI||22 July 2000 v England|
|Domestic team information|
|2013–2014||Glamorgan (squad no. 40)|
|2001–2012||Sussex (squad no. 3)|
Source: CricketArchive, 22 October 2013
Murray William Goodwin (born 11 December 1972) is a former Zimbabwean cricketer who played 19 Tests and 71 One Day Internationals. He is a right handed top-order batsman, who is strong on the back-foot, as well as being a good cutter and puller of the ball.
Born in Rhodesia, Goodwin emigrated to Australia as a child. He moved back to Zimbabwe, and represented that country for two years between 1998 and 2000. His wife had trouble settling in Zimbabwe, and so, after the England tour of 2000, they moved back to Australia.
After his retirement from international cricket, he became a regular for the Western Warriors in Australia and for Sussex in England. He made 1,183 runs for Western Australia in 2003–04 and highlighted his consistency with 840 the following season. He has also played for the Netherlands as an overseas player.
Goodwin holds the Sussex record for the highest individual innings, with 344* against Somerset in 2009, beating his own record of 335* set in 2003. Goodwin's 2003 innings helped Sussex to win their first-ever Championship title, after 164 years. He is also the only Sussex batsman to have twice made a double century and a century in the same match.
Goodwin led Sussex to the league title in the final match of the 2008 NatWest Pro40 competition. After the collapse of Sussex's top and middle order against Nottinghamshire CCC, his 87 not out from 64 balls steered Sussex to victory. Needing three runs from Charlie Shreck's final delivery to tie the match and ensure victory for Sussex in the league table, Goodwin hit a six over long-on to clinch the game.
Goodwin was released by Sussex County Cricket Club in August 2012, but was soon snapped up by Glamorgan, with whom he signed an initial 1-year contract on 17 October, 2012. In his first season with Glamorgan, Goodwin averaged over 56 with the bat in the County Championship, this triggered a year extension to his contract.
Career best performances
as of 18 October 2013
|Tests||166*||Zimbabwe v Pakistan||Bulawayo||1998||-|
|ODI||112*||Zimbabwe v West Indies||Chester-le-Street||2000||1-12||Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka||Sharjah||1998|
|FC||344*||Sussex v Somerset||Taunton||2009||2-23||Zimbabweans v Lahore City||Lahore||1998|
|LA||167||Western Australia v New South Wales||Perth||2001||1-9||Mashonaland v England A||Harare||1999|
|T20||102*||Sussex Sharks v Essex Eagles||Chelmsford||2007||-|
|Test centuries of Murray Goodwin|
|||166*||5||Pakistan||Bulawayo, Zimbabwe||Queens Sports Club||14 March 1998||Drawn|
|||113||17||West Indies||Kingston, Jamaica||Sabina Park||24 March 2000||Lost|
|||148*||19||England||Nottingham, England||Trent Bridge||1 June 2000||Drawn|
|One Day International centuries of Murray Goodwin|
|||111||2||Sri Lanka||Colombo, Sri Lanka||R Premadasa Stadium||24 January 1998||Lost|
|||112*||69||West Indies||Nottingham, England||Riverside Ground||16 July 2000||Won|
One Day International Cricket
Man of the Match awards
|S No||Opponent||Venue||Date||Match Performance||Result|
|1||Sri Lanka||R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo||24 January 1998||111 (134 balls, 7x4) ; DNB||Sri Lanka won by 5 wickets.|
|2||New Zealand||AMI Stadium, Christchurch||4 March 1998||58 (77 balls, 9x4) ; 2-0-7-0||Zimbabwe won by 3 wickets.|
|3||Kenya||Gymkhana Club Ground, Nairobi||25 September 1999||DNB, 1 Ct. ; 76* (105 balls, 13x4)||Zimbabwe won by 3 wickets.|
|4||West Indies||Riverside Ground, Chester-Le-Street||16 July 2000||112* (137 balls, 7x4)||Zimbabwe won by 6 wickets.|
- "Cricket Records | Records | / | Zimbabwe | One-Day Internationals | Highest partnerships by wicket | ESPN Cricinfo". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2017-08-12.
- Weaver, Paul (20 August 2009). "Murray Goodwin's 344 not out tops record-toppling day at Taunton". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Hundred in Each Innings of a Match for Sussex". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Super Sharks stun Notts: Glorious Goodwin steers visitors to title in sensational finish". Sky Sports. 14 September 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- Dobell, George (18 October 2012). "Goodwin plays on at Glamorgan". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- "Murray Goodwin pleads for longer Glamorgan contract". BBC Sport. 24 August 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "1997-1998 Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe - 2nd Match - Colombo". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "1997-1998 New Zealand v Zimbabwe - 3rd Match - Christchurch". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "1999-2000 LG Cup - 1st Match - Kenya v Zimbabwe - Nairobi". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "2000 NatWest Series - 7th Match - West Indies v Zimbabwe - Chester-Le-Street". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 16 August 2015.