||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
July 1, 1912|
Casterton, Victoria, Australia
|Died||25 April 1985
Woodland Hills, Los Angeles
|Other names||Sidney Murray Matheson|
|Occupation||Actor: stage, film, television|
Murray Matheson (1 July 1912 – 25 April 1985), born Sidney Murray Matheson was an actor who had appeared on stage and in films and television programs until 1983.
His first principal stage performance was in Roberta at Her Majesty's Theatre, Melbourne Australia in 1934. His London debut was at the Palladium in Band Wagon (1939), and his New York debut was as Captain Worthy in The Relapse, as part of the Theatre Guild (1950). Matheson performed in dozens of plays, including some major tours, until 1982.
Matheson's first film appearance was as Joe Lawson in The Way to the Stars, a.k.a. Johnny in the Clouds (1945). He played the clown in the classic The Twilight Zone episode Five Characters in Search of an Exit. He made guest appearances in two 1964 episodes of CBS's Perry Mason: murder victim B.K. Doran in "The Case of the Accosted Accountant." and murderer Howard Hopkins in "The Case of the Wooden Nickels."
His most remembered film and television roles include:
- Felix Mulholland in the NBC Banacek series
- Mr. Ovington in the movie How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
- The Clown in the The Twilight Zone episode "Five Characters in Search of an Exit"
- Mr. Agee in the "Kick the Can" segment of The Twilight Zone: The Movie
- Dr. John Keith in the film Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing
- Stephanie's much older husband in CBS's Newhart
- Talbot in the "Why Wait Until Uncle Kevin Dies" episode of Hawaii Five-O (1968)
In "The Reversed Blade" (February 4, 1961), Matheson portrays John Tundall, the employer of Billy the Kid (Clu Gulager) in the NBC western television series, The Tall Man. The real employer is rancher John Tunstall. In the story line, Tundall grows indignant when the con-man Ben Webster (John Archer), who stole Tundall's wife and $10,000 eight years earlier, arrives in Lincoln, New Mexico, the setting of The Tall Man. Jeanne Cooper plays Tundall's former wife, now Mrs. Elmira Webster. John Tunstall died at twenty-four, but Matheson was forty-nine when he assumed the role as the employer of Billy the Kid
In 1960 and 1961, he was cast as Geoffrey Carey in "The Archer's Ring" and as the High Priest in "The Perils of Penrose", respectively, on the ABC series, Adventures in Paradise, starring Gardner McKay. In 1961, he played the lead guest-starring role in the episode "A Rope for Charlie Munday" on another ABC adventure series, The Islanders, co-starring William Reynolds. In 1966 guest starred in Bewitched season 5 episode 28 " Samantha's Good News ". In 1970, he appeared in an episode of the ABC crime drama The Silent Force, and in 1978 he appeared in the "Murder! Murder!" episode of the NBC crime drama The Eddie Capra Mysteries.
Matheson's ashes were scattered into the Pacific Ocean.
- The Fool and the Princess (1948)
- Plymouth Adventure (1952) - Christopher Martin (uncredited)
- Jamaica Run (1953)
- King of the Khyber Rifles (1953)
- Love is a Many-Splendored Thing (1955)
- The Fugitive (1963)
- Signpost to Murder (1965)
- Assault on a Queen (1966)
- ""The Reversed Blade", February 4, 1961". Internet Movie Data Base. Retrieved February 15, 2013.