This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1 July 1912|
Casterton, Victoria, Australia
25 April 1985 (aged 72)|
Woodland Hills, Los Angeles
|Other names||Sidney Murray Matheson|
|Occupation||Actor: stage, film, television|
Sidney Murray Matheson (1 July 1912 – 25 April 1985) was an American-based Australian actor. He appeared on stage and in films and television programs until 1983.
Matheson was born in Australia, where he grew up on a 3,000-acre sheep station. When he was 12, he saw a production of Sally by a touring company, and that experience sparked his desire to be an actor.
Matheson's first film appearance was as Joe Lawson in The Way to the Stars, a.k.a. Johnny in the Clouds (1945). He played the clown in the classic The Twilight Zone episode Five Characters in Search of an Exit. He made guest appearances in two 1964 episodes of CBS's Perry Mason: murder victim B.K. Doran in "The Case of the Accosted Accountant." and murderer Howard Hopkins in "The Case of the Wooden Nickels."
Some of his best-known film and television roles include:
- Felix Mulholland in the NBC Banacek series
- Benjamin Ovington in the movie How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
- The Clown in the Twilight Zone episode "Five Characters in Search of an Exit"
- Mr. Agee in the "Kick the Can" segment of The Twilight Zone: The Movie
- Dr. John Keith in the film Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing
- Talbot in the "Why Wait Until Uncle Kevin Dies" episode of Hawaii Five-O (1973) Season 6, episode 8.
In 1960-61, he was cast as Geoffrey Carey in "The Archer's Ring" and as the High Priest in "The Perils of Penrose", respectively, on the ABC series, Adventures in Paradise, starring Gardner McKay. In 1961, he played the lead guest-starring role in the episode "A Rope for Charlie Munday" on another ABC adventure series, The Islanders, co-starring William Reynolds. In 1966 guest starred in Bewitched season 5 episode 28 " Samantha's Good News ". In 1970, he appeared in an episode of the ABC crime drama The Silent Force, and in 1978 he appeared in the "Murder! Murder!" episode of the NBC crime drama The Eddie Capra Mysteries.
Matheson's ashes were scattered into the Pacific Ocean.
- The Fool and the Princess (1948)
- Plymouth Adventure (1952) as Christopher Martin (uncredited)
- Jamaica Run (1953)
- King of the Khyber Rifles (1953)
- Love is a Many-Splendored Thing (1955)
- The Fugitive (1963)
- Signpost to Murder (1965)
- Assault on a Queen (1966)
- How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967) as Benjamin Ovington
- Arnold (1973) as Lord Arnold Dwellyn (voice) (uncredited)
- Kleiner, Dick (16 June 1973). "Banacek's Felix Once Sheepman". The Ogden Standard. Utah, Ogden. p. 23. Retrieved 11 July 2017 – via Newspapers.com.