April 2, 1933|
Brooklyn, New York
January 20, 2016 (aged 82)|
Brooklyn, New York
|Education||Cooper Union, Brooklyn Museum Art School|
|Awards||Society of Illustrators Gold Medals|
Murray Tinkelman (February 4, 1933 – January 20, 2016) was an American science-fiction and fantasy illustrator. He won gold medals from the Society of Illustrators. He provided numerous book covers for paperback reprints of science fiction and fantasy novels for Ballantine Books in the 1970s, including the reprints of many of John Brunner's novels.
Tinkelman held an exhibition in 1994 at The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York and at the United States Sports Academy in Daphne, Alabama the following year. In 1970 the Graphic Arts Guild named him Artist of the Year and by 1995 he was named Sports Artist of the Year by the United States Sports Academy. In 1999 he received a Distinguished Educator in the Arts award from the Society of Illustrators and two years later got a Syracuse University Faculty Service Citation. Later on in the same university he became Professor Emeritus and a senior advisor as well.
Most recently, Tinkelman taught at the Hartford Art School which is a part of University of Hartford. Currently his collections can be found in Brooklyn Museum, the Delaware Art Museum, the International Photography Hall of Fame and Museum, and the New Britain Museum of American Art. He was awarded by the New York Art Directors Club and by Society of Publications Designers with gold medals.
On January 20, 2016, Murray Tinkelman (1933-2016) died at the age of 82. His wife and frequent artistic partner Carol preceded him in death just four days earlier, on January 16.
He illustrated William Saroyan's poem "Me" for its publication in The Saturday Evening Post on March 9, 1963. The poem and its illustrations were published as a children's book the same year, and republished in 2016.
- "Murray Tinkelman - Illustration History". www.illustrationhistory.org. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Murray Tinkelman". Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- "Norman Rockwell Museum Mourns The Passing of Artist/Educator/Museum Trustee, Murray Tinkelman". www.nrm.org. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Murray and Carol Tinkelman Pass Away". file770.com. 5 February 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Catalog of Copyright Entries. Third Series: 1970: July-December". Copyright Office, Library of Congress. 25 August 1973. Retrieved 25 August 2017 – via Google Books.
- Saroyan, William (25 August 1963). "ME A Modern Masters Book For Children". The Crowell-Collier Press. Retrieved 25 August 2017 – via Amazon.