Murrin Murrin Joint Venture
|Production||Nickel: 30,514 t |
Cobalt: 2,018 t
|Company||Minara Resources (60%) |
|Website||Minara website |
The Murrin Murrin Joint Venture is a major nickel-cobalt mining operation being conducted in the North Eastern Goldfields, approximately 45 km east of Leonora, Western Australia. The Project was a joint venture between Murrin Murrin Holdings Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Minara Resources Ltd (whose share is 60%) and Glenmurrin Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Glencore International AG, which had a 40% share but also owned 70% of Minara. As of November 2011, Minara Resources was fully acquired and is now wholly owned by Glencore International. The mine opened in 1999.
Problems with the process plant
Significant problems and delays were encountered in the design, construction and commissioning of the ore process plant at Murrin Murrin.
The designers, Fluor Daniel eventually had to pay the joint venture partners A$155 million in an out of court settlement. It was their second successful claim against Fluor, Murrin Murrin owners having been awarded $147 million from the first phase of their claim against Fluor, a sum which ultimately was reduced to $39.8 million. The Murrin Murrin project's original cost estimate of $1 billion had blown out $1.6 billion.
Production of the mine:
|2000||13,027 t||904 t|
|2001||25,991 t||1,253 t|
|2002||30,009 t||1,838 t|
|2004||27,950 t||1,982 t|
|2005||28,240 t||1,750 t|
|2006||31,524 t||2,096 t|
|2007||27,585 t||1,884 t|
|2008||30,514 t||2,018 t|
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, Louthean Media Pty Ltd, Editor: Ross Louthean
- Glencore mops up Minara Resources takeover, The Australian, October 14, 2011.
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, page: 39
- Nedeljkovic, Zoran. (1998) Andrew Forrest : a key to Murrin Murrin's past and future Mining chronicle (West Perth, W.A.) Late June 1998, p. 6
- Minara handed $155m for Murrin mine fiasco The Sydney Morning Herald, published: 6 May 2004, accessed: 10 September 2009
- 2008 MRE Annual report
|This article about mining is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|