New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|• Density||0.5561/km2 (1.4403/sq mi)|
|Established||12 May 2016|
|Area||6,880 km2 (2,656.4 sq mi)|
|State electorate(s)||Albury, Murray|
Murrumbidgee Council is a local government area in the Riverina region of New South Wales, Australia. This area was formed in 2016 from the merger of the Murrumbidgee Shire with the neighbouring Jerilderie Shire.
The combined area comprises 6,880 square kilometres (2,660 sq mi) and covers the urban areas of Coleambally, Darlington Point and Jerilderie and the surrounding cropping and pastoral areas. At the time of its establishment, the estimated population of the area was 4,047.
The inaugural Mayor of Murrumbidgee Council is former Jerilderie Shire councillor Ruth McRae, elected on 21 September 2017.
The Murrumbidgee Council has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Darlington Point, Warangesda: Warangesda Aboriginal Mission
- Jerilderie, Nowranie Street: Jerilderie railway station
Murrumbidgee Council has nine Councillors, with three councillors elected proportionally from three wards - Jerilderie, Murrumbidgee and Murrumbidgee East. All Councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office.
The most recent election was held on 9 September 2017, and the makeup of the Council by order of election, with posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor yet to be filled pending the first meeting, is as follows:
|Independent and Unaligned||9|
|Jerilderie Ward||Faith Bryce||Independent|
|Ruth McRae||Independent||Mayor Former Mayor of Jerilderie Shire|
|Angelina (Gaila) Smith||Independent|
|Murrumbidgee Ward||Phillip Wells||Independent|
|Murrumbidgee East Ward||Robert Black||Independent||Deputy Mayor|
|Austin Evans||Unaligned||Former Mayor of Murrumbidgee Shire, Administrator of Murrumbidgee Council 2016-17|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Murrumbidgee (A)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2018.
- "Murrumbidgee Council". Stronger Councils. Government of New South Wales. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Bunn, Anthony (21 September 2017). "Ruth McRae becomes first mayor of Murrumbidgee Shire following amalgamation with Jerilderie". Border Mail. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- "Warangesda Aboriginal Mission and Station". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01810. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Jerilderie Railway Station Group". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01658. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Murrumbidgee - Jerilderie Ward". NSW Local Council Elections 2017. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Murrumbidgee - Murrumbidgee Ward". NSW Local Council Elections 2017. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Murrumbidgee - Murrumbidgee East Ward". NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 15 September 2017.