Musée des Confluences
The Musée des Confluences is a science centre and anthropology museum which opened on 20 December 2014 in the 2nd arrondissement of Lyon, (Rhône), France. It is located at the southern tip of the Presqu'île at the confluence of the Rhône and the Saône, adjacent to Autoroute A7, and comprises part of a larger redevelopment project of the Confluence quarter of Lyon. The deconstructivist architectural design, said to resemble a floating crystal cloud of stainless steel and glass, was created by the Austrian firm Coop Himmelb(l)au.
The museum includes collections of natural science, anthropology, and Earth Sciences of the Musée d'histoire naturelle - Guimet. These collections will be supplemented by exhibitions of arts and crafts.
The four major exhibitions are called "Origins - Stories of the World", "Species - the Web of life", "Societies - Human theatre," and "Eternities - Visions of the beyond". The first exhibition deals with questions of origin, both the Big Bang theory, history of the universe, as well as the birth of life and evolution of especially humans. The second exhibition, "Species", explores the links between humans and animals, and evolution of different species. The third exhibition, "societies" is about human societies and how humans build communities. And finally, "Eternities" deals with the meaning of life, the inevitable death of humans, and how that question has been dealt with in different societies.
The museum stands 44 m (144 ft) high, 150 m (492 ft) long, and 83 m (272 ft) wide. Total area will be 22,000 m² (238,000 sq ft), 6,500 of which will be devoted to exhibitions, three times greater than the museum exhibition space. Nine concurrent exhibitions (4 permanent + 5 temporary), plus four discovery spaces and two auditoriums will be available. Construction cost was budgeted for €153 million, but the controversial final cost is now forecast to approach nearly €300 million
- Linternaute.com. "À Lyon, le délirant Musée des Confluences – Nuage flottant" (in French). Retrieved 12 May 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 50 questions, 50 réponses, Musée des Confluences Museedesconfluences.fr Archived 2009-05-03 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved May 31, 2009
- Linternaute.com. "À Lyon, le délirant Musée des Confluences – Un coût controversé" (in French). Retrieved 12 May 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link).
- Official site of the museum
- Musée des Confluences on Mapolis
- Musée des Confluence, on the site of Lyon