International Museum of Horology
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Musée International d'Horlogerie|
|Location||La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland|
In 1865 the Watchmaking School of La Chaux-de-Fonds had the idea of putting together a collection of old clocks. This resulted, in 1902, in the opening of a small museum in the same building as the school. The collection gradually grew and the museum was enlarged three times, in 1907, 1952 and 1967.
It finally became clear that the premises were no longer suitable for a permanent and functional display of the whole collection. The Committee of the Museum therefore suggested to the Municipality of La Chaux-de-Fonds that a foundation should be set up with the purpose of promoting the construction of a new building. Opened in 1974 under the name of Musée international d'horlogerie, this was characterized by a conception and techniques in the avant-garde of architecture and museography. Three decades later its construction is as fascinating as its exhibits.
Marine Chronometer No. 3153 by Breguet & Fils, double barrels, La Chaux-de-Fonds.
Bracket clock with base by Pierre Jaquet Droz La Chaux-de-Fonds.
- Bosshart, Nicole (2008). Le Pays de Neuchâtel et son patrimoine Horloger. Chézard-Saint-Martin, Switzerland: Les Editions de la Chatière. ISBN 978-2-940239-16-0. Retrieved 5 February 2018.
- "La Chaux-de-Fonds / Le Locle, Watchmaking Town Planning". UNESCO World Heritage Convention. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to International Museum of Horology.|
- Baillod Gil, "The beating heart of worldwide horology", in watch around, n.012, automn 2011-winter 2012, pp. 70–73
- Bosshart, Nicole, "International Museum of Horology – La Chaux-de-Fonds", in BUJARD Jacques; TISSOT Laurent (2008), The Territory of Neuchâtel and its Horological Heritage. Chézard-Saint-Martin: Editions de la Chatière, pp. 351–354, ISBN 978-2-940239-16-0.
- Mercier, Francois; Cardinale, Catherine (1993). Museums of Horology - La Chaux-de-Fons - Le Locle. Zurich: Swiss Institute of Art Research. p. 128. ISBN 3-908184-33-9.
- de Limoge, Andre (1974). Collections du musee internationale d'horlogerie, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Suisse - Une selection parmi 3100 objects. La Chaux-de-Fonds, Suisse: musee internationale d'horlogerie. p. 151.
- Cardinal, Catherine; Piguet, Jean Michel (2002). Catalog of Selected Pieces - Musee Internationale d'Horlogerie. La Chaux-de-Fonds, Suisse: Musee internationale d'horlogerie. p. 384. ISBN 2-940088-10-1.