Museum de Fundatie
Museum de Fundatie in Zwolle in 2016
|Location||Blijmarkt 20, Zwolle|
't Nijenhuis 10, Heino/Wijhe
|Collection size||7,000+ objects|
|Curator||Karin van Lieverloo|
Museum de Fundatie (Dutch pronunciation: [myˌzeːjʏm də fʏnˈdaː(t)si]) is a museum for the visual arts in Zwolle, Netherlands. Museum de Fundatie forms part of the Hannema-de Stuers Foundation, to which Kasteel het Nijenhuis in Heino also belongs. Museum de Fundatie possesses a collection of visual arts, with works ranging from the end of the Middle Ages until the present day, collected by Dirk Hannema, former director of Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen. As well as the permanent collection, Museum de Fundatie organises new, wide-ranging exhibitions every three months. Museum de Fundatie recorded a record number of 310,000 visitors in 2015.
Museum de Fundatie was founded in 1958. Its original location was Kasteel Het Nijenhuis, a 17th-century castle near the villages of Heino and Wijhe, which was the residence of museum founder Dirk Hannema.
From 1991 until 2005, the Bergkerk, a former church in the city of Deventer, was the secondary location of the museum used for temporary exhibitions. Since 2005, the Paleis aan de Blijmarkt, a former court building in the city of Zwolle, served as the second location of the museum. The location in Zwolle was closed for renovation on 8 January 2012 and reopened on 31 May 2013.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The museum's collection is divided over two locations:
Museum de Fundatie, Zwolle
Designed by Eduard Louis de Coninck of The Hague, this former Palace of Justice was built in the neo-classicist style between 1838 and 1841. The court building was completely revamped by architect Arne Mastenbroek during the 1980s to serve as the new office for the national planning service’s information department (RPD). Mastenbroek’s second renovation in 1994 saw the palace become a fully fledged museum. Between 1994 and 2001, the building accommodated the Museum for Naïve and Outsider Art. In 2004-2005, the former court house was renovated by architect Gunnar Daan to offer space for Museum de Fundatie. The museum was expanded in 2012-2013 with the addition of new exhibition space on the roof of the existing building. This egg-shaped extension was designed by Bierman Henket architects.
Kasteel het Nijenhuis, Heino
Built in the 14th century, Het Nijenhuis manor is situated near the village of Heino. Officially however, it lies within the municipality of Olst-Wijhe. The building belongs to the Province of Overijssel and Dirk Hannema lived here from 1958 until his death in 1984. Art collector Hannema was, among other things, the director of Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen. He left his collection to the Hannema-de Stuers Foundation and therefore to Museum De Fundatie. Het Nijenhuis was opened to the public after restoration in 2004. The sculpture garden surrounding the manor is one of the Netherlands’ larger ones. The garden displays more than ninety 20th and 21st century sculptures, featuring both nationally and internationally renowned artists.
The museum collection is originally based on the eclectic art collection of Dirk Hannema, former museum director of Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam. Since 1993, the collection of the Province of Overijssel is also managed by the museum.
The collection contains over 7,000 paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, and other objects. Among these works are paintings of Marc Chagall, Piet Mondrian, Isaac Israëls, Vincent van Gogh, Lucebert, Paul Citroen, Karel Appel, and Carel Willink, and sculptures by Antonio Canova and Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
Woman in profile in front of Van Gogh's sunflowers (1917) by Isaac Israëls
Vanitas still life (1627), attributed to Jan Lievens
|2016||230,000 (est.)||55,000 (est.)||285,000 (est.)|
The entrance fee for either location of the museum is € 9, the reduced price for students is € 6, and children under 17 years have free admission.
Museum de Fundatie is a member of the Museumvereniging (Museum Association).
- Zwolle, Museum de Fundatie. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- Heino, Museum de Fundatie. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- Peter van Mensch, Museums of the Netherlands, 1745–2012 Archived 2013-10-23 at the Wayback Machine, Mensch Museological Consulting. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- The Collection, Museum de Fundatie. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- "285.000 bezoekers voor Fundatie in 2016" (in Dutch), Museum de Fundatie. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Organization, Museum de Fundatie. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- (in Dutch) "Kostendekkende exploitatie Bergkerk kan", De Stentor, 2005. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- (in Dutch) "Eigen museum voor verzamelaars", Dagblad van het Noorden, 2005. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- Jaarverslag 2012 (in Dutch), Museum de Fundatie, 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- (in Dutch) "Museum leeft weer na komst Beatrix Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine", De Stentor, 2013. Retrieved on 8 July 2014.
- Collection, Museum de Fundatie. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- "Unusual Van Gogh Painting Authenticated", CBS News, 2010. Retrieved on 7 July 2014.
- Sandra Smallenburg, "New painting by Van Gogh discovered Archived 2011-06-20 at the Wayback Machine", NRC Handelsblad, 2010. Retrieved on 12 July 2014.
- Top 55 Museumbezoek 2010 Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine (in Dutch), Nederlandse Museumvereniging. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Teller Fundatie in 2013 geëindigd op ruim 226.000 bezoekers" (in Dutch), De Stentor, 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Nina Schuyffel, "Alweer meer bezoekers voor musea in 2014" (in Dutch), de Volkskrant, 2014. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- (in Dutch) "Ook 2015 weer een goed jaar voor musea", NOS, 2015. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- Jaarverslag 2013 (in Dutch), Museum de Fundatie, 2014. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Ralph Keuning nieuwe directeur Museum de Fundatie (in Dutch), Kunstbeeld, 2006. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Admission fees, Museum de Fundatie. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Museum de Fundatie (in Dutch), Museumvereniging. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Museum de Fundatie's favourites (2005) / ed. Margriet Werkman. Waanders/Museum de Fundatie, Zwolle/Heino etc. 160 p. ISBN 90-400-8990-6. Publication commemorating the opening of the Paleis a/d Blijmarkt in Zwolle on 25 June 2005 and featuring highlights from the collection
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museum de Fundatie.|
- Museum de Fundatie, official website