Museum of Macedonia
|Музеј на Македонија|
The main building of the museum
|Location||Old Bazaar, Skopje, Macedonia|
Museum of Macedonia (Macedonian: Музеј на Македонија, translit. Muzej na Makedonija) is a national institution in the Republic of Macedonia and one of the oldest museums in the country. The Museum of Macedonia was created by joining three museum in one. The three museum that were unified were the archaeological, historical and ethnological museum, of which the archaeological museum was the oldest one; it was opened in 1924 and that date is considered as an establishing date of the national museum. During the existence of the Socialist Republic of Macedonia, the museum was known as People's Museum of Macedonia.
The museum is located in the Old Bazaar in Skopje, near the Skopje Fortress. It has got total area of 10.000 m², of which 6000 м² are meant for permanent or temporal exhibitions. The institution is of complex character, which means it gathers, keeps, conserves and presents the national Macedonian historical and cultural heritage. Within the museum is the Kuršumli An, a historical monument that was built in the 16th century. Besides that, the museum takes care about the collections of the following institutions as well:
- the collections in the Palace of culture "Dragi Tozija" in Resen,
- the collections in the library "Iskra" in Kočani,
- the collections in the Palace of culture "25 May" in Valandovo, and
- the collections in the memorial houses in the villages Bituše, Galičnik and Gorno Vranovci.
The Museum of Macedonia is divided into the following departments or sections:
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of Ethnology
- Department of History
- Department of History of Arts
- Department for conservation
- Voroncov, Barbara. "The evaluation of the Museum of Macedonia in Skopje" (PDF) (in Macedonian). Skopje, Macedonia. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-08.
- "Museum of Macedonia" (in Macedonian). Skopje. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museum of Macedonia, Skopje.|
- Official web page of the Museum of Macedonia (in Macedonian)
- The evolution of the Museum of Macedonia, by Barbara Voponcov. (in Macedonian)