Museum of Osteology
|Location||Oklahoma City, United States|
|Type||Natural history museum|
|Collection size||5,000+ skeletal specimens|
The Museum of Osteology, located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States, North America, is a private museum devoted to the study of bones and skeletons (osteology). This museum displays over 350 skeletons from animal species from animals all over the world. With another 7000 specimens as part of the collection, but not on display, this is the largest privately held collection of osteological specimens in the world.
The collections housed by the Museum of Osteology are the result of over 40 years of collecting by Jay Villemarette.
The museum was established by Jay Villemarette, founder of the company Skulls Unlimited International Inc., which is located next to the museum. Construction on the museum began in 2004 and opened to the public on October 1, 2010.
In 2015, the Museum of Osteology opened a second location, Skeletons: Museum of Osteology, at the I-Drive 360 entertainment complex in Orlando, Florida. This location is cited as the largest skeleton museum in America with over 500 skeletons on display.
Skeletons on display at the Museum of Osteology.
Pygmy sperm whale skeleton on display at the Museum of Osteology.
Ungulate skeletons on display at the Museum of Osteology.
Various animal skeletons on display at the Museum of Osteology.
- "Skeletons: Animals Unveiled! I-Drive 360". www.blooloop.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Urstadt, Brian (July 2006). "I'm Going to Rib-cage World". Outside Magazine. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- Raymond, Jeff (March 26, 2007). "Skeleton Crew". The Oklahoman.
- Wheelbarger, Brent (Oct 1, 2008). "The Bone Collectors; The Biggest Skeletal Collection in the World Right Here in Moore Oklahoma" (PDF). Moore Monthly.
- Horton, Greg (October 25, 2006). "Bone Collector". Oklahoma Gazette.
- Brus, Brian (May 27, 2009). "Skull Junkie Finds Solid Future in Skeleton Frontier". The Journal Record.
- Dinger, Matt (2010-11-15). "Museum Opens in Southeast Oklahoma City". The Daily Oklahoman.
- Gray, Aaron Wright (2010-10-30), "Villemarette Gets His Skeletons Out of the Closet", Norman Transcript
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museum of Osteology.|