Institute of Geosciences of the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Institute of Geosciences is a unit of instruction of the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS). It includes the undergraduate courses of Geography, Geomatics Engineering, Geology. It has a department of study of vertebrate paleontology which has made great contributions to the geopark of Paleorrota.
The Institute of Geosciences is composed by five departaments:
- Department of Geography
- Department of Geology
- Department of Mineralogy and Petrology
- Department of Paleontology and Stratigraphy
- Department of Geodesy
The Insitute of Geosciences maintains two graduate programs: the Graduate Program in Geography (PPGEA) and in Geology (PPGEO).
Graduate Program in Geology
The PPGEO includes four areas of focus: Stratigraphy, Marine Geology, Geochemistry and Paleontology. In total it has 275 enrolled students, of wich 137 are PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) candidates and 138 Master' candidates. The program has already graduated more than 698 Master and 302 Doctors of philosophy.
Academics and Faculty
Both graduate programs (PPGEA and PPGEO) have achieved high standards (6 and 7 grades out of 7) according to the Brazilian Coordination of Improvement of Higher Level Personnel (CAPES).
Museum of Paleontology "Irajá Damiani Pinto"
The museum displays various fossils of the geopark of Paleorrota. In the same building, the Laboratory of Paleontology furthers the knowledge about the geopark, as many fossils are cleaned and prepared there.
- Paleorrota Geopark
- Porto Alegre Botanical Garden
- Museum of Science and Technology (PUCRS)
- Museum Education Gama D'Eça.
- Museum Vincente Pallotti.
- Museum Aristides Carlos Rodrigues.
- Museum Paleontologic and Archaeological Walter Ilha.
- Museum Daniel Cargnin.
Notes and references
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Earth sciences.|
- Institute of Geosciences of UFRGS (Portuguese)
- Graduate Program in geology (PPGEO) https://www.ufrgs.br/ppggeo/ (Portuguese)