Museum of the Second World War
The Museum of the Second World War (Polish: Muzeum II Wojny Światowej) is a museum in Gdańsk, Poland which is devoted to World War II. The museum was opened on 23 March 2017. Kwadrat architectural team won the architectural competition for the building of the Museum of the Second World War in Gdańsk.
Prof. Dr hab. Paweł Machcewicz was the Museum’s director until the end of January 2017, and Dr Janusz Marszalec and Dr hab. Piotr M. Majewski serve as his deputies.
The Museum and Advisory Boards
Two mutually independent consultative bodies, the Museum Board and the Advisory Board, sustain the work of the Museum. Both include prominent historians from Poland, Britain, France, Germany,Russia and Israel, and museum specialists, journalists and veterans.
The Museum Board is made up of:
- Dr Piotr M.A. Cywiński, director, Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and State Museum;
- Prof. Bogdan Chrzanowski, lecturer, University of Gdańsk; senior curator, Stutthof Museum; the chairman of the Board
- Lt.-Col. Tadeusz Filipkowski, member of the board, World Society of Home Army Soldiers;
- Dr Jarosław Krawczyk, editor-in-chief, Mówią Wieki journal of history;
- Prof. Jack Lohman, director, Museum of London;
- Prof. Krzysztof Mikulski, president, Polish Historical Society;
- Prof. Zdzisław Najder, historian of literature;
- Jacek Taylor, attorney; representative of the minister of the treasury on the Board of the Foundation for Polish-German Reconciliation and
- Dorota Zawacka-Wakarecy, chair, Gen. Elżbieta Zawacka Foundation, Archive and the Pomeranian Museum of the Home Army and of the Polish Women’s Military Service.
The Advisory Board consists of:
- Prof. Władysław Bartoszewski, the prime minister’s plenipotentiary for international dialogue;
- Prof. Jerzy Borejsza, Institute of History, Polish Academy of Sciences;
- Prof. Włodzimierz Borodziej, Institute of History, University of Warsaw;
- Prof. Andrzej Chwalba, Institute of History, Jagiellonian University, Cracow;
- Prof. Norman Davies, British Academy;
- Prof. Israel Gutman, International Institute for Holocaust Research, Yad Vashem, Jerusalem;
- Prof. Ulrich Herbert, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg; School of History, Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies, Germany;
- Prof. Jerzy Holzer, Institute of Political Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences;
- Prof. Pavel Polian, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences; Academic Library, Russian State University for the Humanities, Moscow;
- Prof. Krzysztof Pomian, Museum of Europe, Brussels;
- Prof. Henry Rousso, Institut d’ histoire du temps présent, Centre national de la recherche scientifique; Université Paris-Ouest Nanterre-La Défense;
- Prof. Timothy D. Snyder, Yale University and
- Prof. Tomasz Szarota, Institute of History, Polish Academy of Sciences.
Prof. Norman Davies has been serving as the chairman of the Advisory Board since June 2009.
- "Opening of the Museum of the Second World War - 23 March 2017". Museum of the Second World War. 2017-03-23. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "Czerwona wieża nad Gdańskiem". Rzeczpospolita. 2 September 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
|This article related to a museum in Poland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This World War II article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|