||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (August 2015)|
MusicRow is a Nashville music industry trade publication providing reviews, breaking news, and in-depth coverage for more than 30 years. The publication delivers online content in addition to six annual print magazines including its InCharge, Artist Roster and Publisher directories. MusicRow Enterprises is also home to song pitch-sheet RowFax, and the MusicRow radio chart.
MusicRow Magazine history
David M. Ross founded the enterprise in Nashville beginning April 1981 as a one-page directory and fostered its growth for almost three decades. The publication was acquired from Ross in 2008 by SouthComm Communications. In 2010, Sherod Robertson acquired the enterprise and is currently its publisher.
RowFax began in 1992, sending out breaking news, song pitch lists and industry news each Friday by fax machine. Today, the service digitally distributes weekly information about current recording projects searching for songs to record. The service is used primarily by professional music publishers, songwriters, producers, artists, and A&R executives. Each entry contains artist, label, producer, recording schedule, project description and contact details when available. The publication is not involved in pitching, reviewing, listening to or owning songs.
The MusicRow Chart is published each week, with spin-based measurement used to determine single rankings. Primarily, the chart is focused on exposing new music played on secondary market radio stations. The annual MusicRow Chart Airplay Awards are presented to those who accrued the most total spins in categories: Artist of the Year, Label of the Year, Breakout Artist of the Year, and Independent Artist of the Year.
Events and awards
MusicRow hosts its MusicRow Chart Airplay Awards during the Annual Country Radio Seminar in Nashville recognizing the highest number of spins artists or labels receive from chart reporting stations throughout the year. In addition, the enterprise hosts its annual MusicRow Awards honoring the Top Ten Album All-Star Musicians, determined by album credits, and the reader-voted awards Breakthrough Artist, Breakthrough Songwriter, Song of the Year and Producer of the Year. In 2012, Robertson introduced the Rising Women on the Row event to salute up-and-coming women who have made substantial contributions to the Nashville music industry early in their careers.
- "Ian Rogers-This Week In Music w/David M. Ross". This Week In Music. Ian Rogers. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "MusicRow CountryBreakout Chart". Honky Tonk TV. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Print Issues". MusicRow Magazine. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "SouthComm Buys MusicRow". SouthComm. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "MusicRow Acquisition". MusicRow Magazine. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "30 Years of Monitoring Nashvilles MusicRow". Kchele Magazine. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "About". RowFax. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Song Plugging With Tip Sheets". Jerry Greene. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "10th Annual CRS Meet & Greet Awards". JT Hodges. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "CRS Awards". MusicRow. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "MusicRow Reveals A STELLAR Lineup for its 2012 CRS Meet & Greet and CountryBreakout Awards". All Access Media. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "MusicRow CountryBreakout Awards". MusicRow. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Find Out About: Music Row Magazine, Nashville's Premier Music Industry Publication". Anne Freeman. The Aspiring Songwriter. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "BMI Hosts Music Row Awards". BMI. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "MusicRow Awards". MusicRow. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Inside Track on Music Row April 2012: INDUSTRY NEWS". Nashville Music Guide. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Rising Women". MusicRow. Retrieved 10 August 2012.