||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Editor||Mark Nardone (Senior Editor), Siri Svay (Associate Editor)|
|Publisher||E. Eric Bettelli|
|First issue||November 10, 1977|
|Company||Music Connection Inc.|
|Based in||Glendale, California|
Music Connection is a United States-based monthly music-trade magazine, which began publication in 1977. It caters to career-minded musicians, songwriters, recording artists and assorted music-industry support personnel. The magazine began by focusing on the Southern California music scene, but now has a national focus and national distribution. The publication and its website (musicconnection.com) offer inside information about the music business, including specialized directories of contact information about music professionals and Free Classifieds for musicians. Music Connection also publishes reviews of unsigned and independent live performers and recording artists. A number of acclaimed artists achieved their first music-magazine-cover status from Music Connection. Those artists and groups include Guns N' Roses, Madonna, Jane's Addiction, Alanis Morissette, White Stripes and Adele.
Music Connection magazine was founded in 1977 in Los Angeles by J. Michael Dolan, an unsigned singer-songwriter who worked as a projectionist at various film studios. Looking for local gigs but finding no useful resource to help him, Dolan came up with the idea of a twice-monthly music publication patterned after Dramalogue, a popular resource for actors looking for work. Joined by longtime friend E. Eric Bettelli, the pair launched Music Connection′s premiere issue on November 10, 1977.
Founder Michael Dolan sold the company in May 2010, to Eric Bettelli, who is now the sole Publisher, with Senior Editor Mark Nardone promoted to Associate Publisher/Senior Editor. The company's website added original video production by Associate Editor/Videographer Siri Svay, including video interviews with a wide range of artists, including Grace Potter and Circa Survive.
Music Connection has maintained an online presence since 1997. The main site at www.musicconnection.com features a digital edition of the entire print magazine. The digital edition has an archive that currently dates back to January 2008. The company launched another site, called AMP Network, in 2007.
Annual Top Artist lists
At the end of each year, Music Connection magazine publishes a Hot 100 Live Unsigned Artists and Bands list of live performers, as well as a Top 25 New Music Critiques list of unsigned recording artists. Artists who've appeared on the Hot 100 list include: 2003 Hot 100 Holy Ghost, 2003 and 2004 Hot 100 Sara Bareilles and 2008 Hot 100 Steel Panther.
In the course of each year, Music Connection publishes a series of annually updated directories containing music industry contact information. The directories focus on the following areas: Music Attorneys, Record Label A&R Reps, Music Schools, Vocal Coaches, Mastering Studios, Film/TV Music Supervisors, Music Publishers, Producers and Engineers, Managers, Booking Agents, Guitar/Bass Instructors, Recording Studios, Indie Record Labels, Marketers/Promoters, Publicists, Rehearsal Studios, Gear Rental/Cartage/Tech Services, Duplicators/Replicators, Merchandise/Swag Manufacturers.
- "Music Connection - Magazine Advertising Costs". Gaebler. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Music Connection Magazine Selects House Band Wines for 2011 Holiday Gift Giving Guide". House Band Wines. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Music Connection Magazine". Tyler Stenson Blog. January 6, 2011. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "MUSICIANS AT HEART » Blog Archive » Q & A with Music Connection". Blog.lafamos.com. February 22, 1999. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Music Connection". Afka.net. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Named in Music Connection Magazine's Hot 100". Jes Hudak. December 8, 2011. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Michael Dolan Exits Music Connection". Indie Artists Alliance. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "More Music Industry News: Music Connection, Sirius Android, Boxee, Visas & More". hypebot. May 28, 2010. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110415090702/http://www.mi.edu/success/three-mi-alumni-bands-listed-on-music-connections-2010-hot-100-live-unsigned-artists-bands-list. Archived from the original on April 15, 2011. Retrieved March 18, 2012. Missing or empty
- "news | Katie Named Music Connection Top 100 Live Unsigned Artist Of The Year!". Katie Garibaldi. November 23, 2009. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Warner Bros Records. March 19, 1958. Retrieved August 30, 2013.