The Music Meister, as he appears in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
|First appearance||Batman: The Brave and the Bold
"Mayhem of the Music Meister! (October 2009)"
|First comic appearance||The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #16|
|Created by||Michael Jelenic|
|Abilities||Vocal Hypnosis through singing
Conductor's baton shoots music sheet like lasers
The Music Meister is a fictional supervillain appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. The character was created by Mike Jelenic, and first appeared in "Mayhem of the Music Meister!", an episode of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series.
Fictional character biography
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
The Music Meister, a villain capable of controlling others through song, first appeared in The Batman: The Brave and the Bold's episode "Mayhem of the Music Meister!", where he induces Black Canary, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Black Manta, Gorilla Grodd and Clock King to hijack a United Nations communications satellite, launching it into space after they install a device for him. ("I'm The Music Meister") During the song, Music Meister relates his origin:
Bullies used to pick on me because I sang in Choir.
But something very strange occurred when I was kept singing higher.
The ruffians around me quickly fell into a trance, / and it was then with wicked glee I made those puppets dance.
When Batman intervenes, he orders them to attack the hero, which they do in a dance style reminiscent of West Side Story. His plan successful, the Meister frustrates Batman once more, escaping by forcing his captives to dance towards the rocket blast, leaving Batman to rescue them rather than apprehend the villain. Meister escapes to an empty opera house where, in a reference to Phantom of the Opera, he plays the organ to a cardboard audience. Batman tries to capture him on a cross-town chase, as Meister release the inmates and villains from Blackgate Prison and Arkham Asylum. ("Drives Us Bats") Having heard Black Canary sing about her unrequited love for Batman ("If Only)", the Meister has fallen for her, but not enough to give up villainy, and she rejects him.
Meister manages to capture Black Canary and Batman and puts them in a death trap. ("Death Trap") They escape just as Music Meister uses the satellite to hypnotize the world with his music. ("The World Is Mine") When Black Canary becomes his slave, Batman tricks Canary into singing as high as he, using the satellite to transmit her sonic scream and break Music Meister's mind control. Batman finally defeats the Music Meister and kindly rejects Black Canary's advances for a final time. Though Black Canary gives up on Batman, she finds love with Green Arrow, who had also held unrequited feelings for her for the duration of the episode. ("If Only (Reprise)")
The Music Meister later appeared in the The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold's issue #16. After Bat-Mite became instantly infatuated with Batgirl and tried to impress her with his magic, conjuring up scenarios from the comic books he's read. During the wedding he teleported the Music Meister, Pied Piper and another for entertainment. The Music Meister tried to take control of Bat-Mite but he was knocked out before his powers could take effect.
Powers and abilities
The Music Meister is a metahuman with the ability to cause every living being who hears his voice to burst into singing and dancing as though they were in a musical. In this hypnotic state, they are compelled to obey the Meister's commands, including those that endanger themselves. Music Meister also carries a rod-shaped weapon (roughly shaped like a conductor's baton) that fires energy blasts shaped like musical scores. In addition, he appears to have the uncanny ability to change his outfits extremely quickly befitting different eras in music history, such as Elvis Presley's leisure suit and Cab Calloway's zoot suit.
In the recent The Flash show, Music Meister displays several different powers, such as power siphoning and teleportation. In addition, his hypnotism, transmitted through eyesight, put his victims in comas.
In other media
- The Music Meister was voiced by Neil Patrick Harris in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series' episode "Mayhem of the Music Meister!".
- The Music Meister appears in The CW's Arrowverse, portrayed by Darren Criss. This version of the character is an extra-dimensional being with the ability to hypnotize people through his eyes, sending them into a dream based on their personal desires. He also can absorb the powers of those he hypnotizes while they are trapped in the dream world, and can materialize anywhere. This version of the Music Meister isn't really a villain. He is someone who tries to help others in his own ways. He states that he believes in the good guys.
- In Supergirl, the Music Meister appears at the end of the episode "Star-Crossed", where he is a captured DEO prisoner who hypnotizes Kara, and then uses her inter-dimensional extrapolator to escape to Earth-1 as part of a plan to capture "the fastest man alive".
- In The Flash's episode "Borrowing Problems From the Future" an item on a news crawl in the future mentions that a person named "Music Meister" had gained a six-figure book deal. The Music Meister officially appears in the episode "Duet", where he puts The Flash into a shared coma with Supergirl, with the two living a movie musical to help them come to terms with their recent break-ups as well as learn that love means "allowing themselves to be saved." After Flash and Supergirl awake from the dream, the Music Meister vanishes, in order to teach his "lessons" to others.
- The Music Meister appears as playable character in Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, voiced by Troy Baker.
- The Music Meister is referenced in Batman: Arkham Knight, a store named "Music Meister's" can be found in Chinatown.