Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 2
|Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 2|
|Studio album by Coil|
Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 2 (written as Musick to Play in the Dark² on the packaging) is an album by Coil currently in its third pressing in CD format; it was also released in double 12" vinyl format.
Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 2 was the second of two albums attributed purely to a style called "moon musick," which signify their change from a "solar" group to a "moon" group. Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1 was the first installment.
"An Emergency" is sung by Rose McDowall.
The lyrics of "Batwings (A Limnal Hymn)" have many references to Musaeum Clausum written by Sir Thomas Browne. This song was also played at John Balance's funeral service and Peter Christopherson described it as "a language that only he knows".
The first 1,000 mail-order copies of the CD came with Coil Presents Time Machines as a bonus.
Four different versions of this album were pressed onto two 12" vinyl records:
- A standard edition limited to 1300 numbered copies.
- A special edition limited to 50 (see below) copies with one light blue record and one light green one.
- "60 signed and numbered copies on amethyst coloured vinyl packaged in a white gatefold sleeve with a moon & trees picture attached to the front, a handprint in off-white paint on the back, a note saying that it is "suitable for framing (but beware of sunlight!)", and two signed prints. The records themselves have plain white labels, with gold leaf attached to the label on side four." -Brainwashed.com.
- A special "Trauma" edition is said to be limited to 26 copies, which are lettered A to Z; however this edition might be limited to 13 copies, with two letters per set. "It was pressed white vinyl with plain white covers smeared with John Balance's own blood during a "psychotic/demonic episode". These also contain the cover picture and prints from the amethyst edition listed above. Initially, only 11 copies were to be sold with the remainder being held by Coil in their personal archive, but the edition was expanded due to high demand." -Brainwashed.com
The vinyl is etched with the following inscriptions:
- Side A: "REFLECTING THE MIRROR OF THE SEA"
- Side B: "HATHOR IS THE COW THAT JUMPED OVER THE MOON"
- Side C: "LAST ONE OUT TURN OFF THE LIGHTS"
The fourth side of the vinyl is etched, with craters, as a moon(as seen below). This album was recorded by Peter Christopherson, Jhonn Balance, Thighpaulsandra, with additional vocals by Rose McDowall on "Where Are You?" The phrase "The key to joy is disobedience; there is no guilt, there is no shame" is whispered at the beginning of "Batwings (A Limnal Hymn)".
This album is currently unavailable in CD format.
- "Something" – 5:02
- "Tiny Golden Books" – 12:19
- "Ether" – 11:32
- "Paranoid Inlay" – 7:17
- "An Emergency" – 1:18
- "Where Are You?" – 7:53
- "Batwings (A Limnal Hymn)" – 11:32
- "Something" - ?
- "Tiny Golden Books" - ?
- "Ether" - ?
- "Paranoid Inlay" - ?
- "An Emergency" - ?
- "Where Are You?" - ?
- "Batwings (A Limnal Hymn)" - ?
- "Radio Inferno". Radio Inferno (20 June 2001). Retrieved 2007-01-06.