Mustafa Kamal (politician)
Kamal's induction into the ICC
|Minister for Planning|
12 January 2014
|Prime Minister||Sheikh Hasina|
|President of the International Cricket Council|
1 July 2014 – 1 April 2015
|Preceded by||Alan Isaac|
|Succeeded by||Zaheer Abbas|
|President of the Bangladesh Cricket Board|
1 September 2009 – 17 October 2012
|Member of the Jatiyo Sangshad for Comilla-10|
5 January 2013
15 June 1947 |
Comilla, Bengal Presidency, British India
|Political party||Bangladesh Awami League|
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka|
Lotus Kamal (born as Abu Hena Mohammed Mustafa Kamal on 15 June 1947) is a Bangladeshi politician, cricket official, and businessman. He was born in Laksham, Comilla, to a farmer, and had no access to proper education. He is a member of the Jatiya Sangsad (Bangladeshi parliament) for the constituency of Comilla-10 in the Chittagong Division and is the current Minister for Planning. He is also the owner of Lotus Kamal Group, which is a textile industry. Due to his involvement in politics, his younger daughter and wife take care of his business. He has an estimated net worth of $1.7 billion..
He has been involved with cricket and its development for last 30 years in various capacities. From 1990-2010 he was chairman of the cricket committee of Abahani Limited, before becoming the President of Asian Cricket Council between 2010 and 2012. He was also the Chairman of Audit Committee of International Cricket Council.
In 2012 Kamal was named as the vice-president of the International Cricket Council (ICC) for the 2012-2014 term. Prior to his nomination for the ICC, Kamal was the president of the Bangladesh Cricket Board. Kamal succeeded Alan Isaac as president of the ICC in 2014.
Kamal resigned from his designation as ICC President, with effect from 1 April 2015. The resignation was reportedly to protest alleged non-compliance by the ICC of laws written in the constitution of the ICC, and he was an active protester of corruption in cricket.
Kamal is in his second term as a member of the Jatiya Sangsad for the constituency of Comilla-10. He is Convener of Bangladesh Awami League in the Comilla district (South). He is also the Finance and Planning Secretary of Bangladesh Awami League. He is the Minister for Planning of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, working directly under Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, and is a possible successor for the office in the 2018 General Elections.
He is the Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on the Ministry of Finance. He has given many lectures and speeches regarding mass prosperity, infrastructure development and economics, and received honorary economics degrees in many renowned universities such as Harvard Business School, University of Sydney, UC Berkeley, and University of Oxford.
- "A H M Mustafa Kamal". Ministry of Planning. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "Cabinet Division". Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "Presidents of the Asian Cricket Council". Asian Cricket Council. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Mustafa Kamal's nomination as ICC Vice-President 2012-14 accepted". International Cricket Council. 9 October 2012.
- "Mustafa Kamal to be ICC Vice-President for 2012-14". The Times of India. 9 October 2012.
- "Mustafa Kamal to be ICC Vice-President for 2012-14". Wisden India. FW Sports and Media India Private Limited. 9 October 2012.
- "ICC Board of Directors, Chief Executives & IDI Board of Directors". Retrieved 22 Feb 2015.
- Cricket World Cup: AHM Mustafa Kamal quits ICC after butting heads with N Srinivasan over trophy snub, foxsports, 1 April 2015.
- "Constituency 258". Bangladesh Parliament. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Mustafa Kamal". Bangladesh Cricket Board. 9 October 2012.
|President of the ICC