11 May 1938
Hyderabad, Sindh, Pakistan
|Years active||1967- present |
|Relatives||Aijaz Qureshi (nephew)|
Mustafa Qureshi was born in Hyderabad (now in Pakistan) on 11 May, 1938 before the independence of Pakistan in 1947. He gained popularity from Punjabi movies. His iconic role as the villain Noori Nat in the movie Maula Jatt (1979) became his trademark and he went on to adapt similar roles for many years to come.
Early life and career
He started his professional career by first working for Radio Pakistan, Hyderabad in the early 1960s. One day he went to see a film shooting of film Aag Ka Darya (1966) and was spotted by Pakistani film cameraman and future film director Raza Mir and asked to act as a villain in his upcoming film Laakhon Mein Ek (1967). Mustafa Qureshi initially could not see himself becoming an actor. So he had to be convinced by Raza Mir. Finally Qureshi reluctantly agreed to do the film. His film career has lasted 45 years so far in 2016.
"The world may see him as the quintessential villain but the veteran actor Mustafa Qureshi is down-to-earth, extremely unpretentious and quite accessible. Unlike his on-screen persona, the actor speaks his mind on a variety of issues....," This is a direct quote from a newspaper columnist who interviewed him, from a major English language newspaper in Pakistan.
- Laakhon Mein Ek (1967). Mustafa Qureshi's debut film. He was introduced in this film by film director Raza Mir
- Andleeb (1969)
- Maula Jatt (1979)
- Lal Aandhi (1979)
- Ghulami (1985)
- Jeeva (1995)
- Sargam (1995)
- Chief Sahib (1996)
- Zill-e-Shah (2008)
- Wohti ley ke jaani ay (2010)
- Shareeka (2012)
- Sultanat (2014)
- Two+Two (2016)
- Shor Sharaba (TBA)
Awards and recognition
- Pride of Performance Award in 1988 by the President of Pakistan
- Nigar Award for Best Supporting Actor in film 'Lal Aandhi' (1979)
- Qureshi, Mustafa. "Mustafa Qureshi's biography and interview". Dawn newspaper. Retrieved 1 Dec 2016.
- Paracha, Nadeem F. (19 October 2014). "Maula Jatt: the secret history". Dawn newspaper. Retrieved 1 Dec 2016.
- http://www.janubaba.com/c/forum/topic/20869/Lollywood/Nigar_Awards__Complete_History, Actor Mustafa Qureshi, Nigar Award winner in 1979 for Best Supporting Actor in Sangeeta's film 'Lal Aandhi' (1979), Retrieved 1 Dec 2016
- "'Shor Sharaba' enters post-production - The Express Tribune newspaper". 17 August 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- Mustafa Qureshi at the Internet Movie Database
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rg2g3, Mustafa Qureshi's BBC Radio 1 interview, Retrieved 1 Dec 2016
- http://www.citwf.com/person350391.htm, Filmography of Mustafa Qureshi on Complete Index To World Film (CITWF) website, Retrieved 1 Dec 2016
|This biographical article related to film in Pakistan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|