Mustapha Khalid Palash
|Mustapha Khalid Palash|
|Born||1963 (age 53–54)
|Alma mater||Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology|
Khan Mohammed Mustapha Khalid Palash (Bengali: মুস্তাফা খালীদ পলাশ;born 1963) popularly known as Palash, is a Bangladeshi architect. He is considered one of the leading contemporary architects of Bangladesh. He is also an artist and painter.
Palash received his Bachelor of Architecture from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology in 1988. After graduation, he taught there until 1998 as assistant professor. He also worked as a visiting faculty of architecture at University of Asia Pacific, North South University, BRAC University
Palash's constructions are noted for their contemporary 21st century modernist style, verging on experimentalism. His novel approaches towards architecture make him peerless or practically singular in the country. Palash has in his credential many local and international awards in recognition of his works. Currently Palash with Vistaara, is busy with quite a big number of corporate buildings and five star hotel projects. As an architect, Palash usually concentrates on his city, Dhaka. The city's hustle and bustle, its architectural elements and vicariousness are also focused in his art works. Dhaka's raw structure and its compact atmosphere are captured in his works with liveliness and intimacy. Palash is considered one of very few celebrity architects of the country. He has participated several architectural exhibitions, seminars, workshops, architecture week, consultancies nationally and globally.
For the last two decades Palash with his team and his company Vistaara Architects, had created numerous outstanding architectural masterpieces in Dhaka, capital city of Bangladesh.
Attending Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology for his bachelor's degree in Architecture from 1982 to 1988, he founded Vistraara Architects in 1994 and joined BUET in 1994, but gave up his job as an assistant professor in 1998 to pursue his passion full-time. Palash is a member of Institute of Architects Bangladesh, international associate member of AIA and a member of Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH). He is also a member of the World Architecture Community and the Institute of Architects Bangladesh. Mustapha Khalid Palash is the current elected president of Architecture Alumni Association of BUET (7th Executive Committee 2013 & 2014).
Notable architecture projects
- Corporate offices
- Grameenphone Corporate Headquarters
- Banglalink Head Office
- Nafi Tower (Robi Head Office)
- Grand Delvistaa
- Malls and centres
- Bashundhara City, the largest shopping mall in South Asia
- Unique Trade Centre(UTC)
- Abdul Monem Financial District
- Rich Center
- Peoples Insurance Bhaban
- Siaam Tower
- SPL Western Tower
- Bashundhara Fitness Center
- Shahara Centre
- Bashundhara Convention Center
- Hotels and hospitals
- Radisson Bay View Hotel Chittagong
- Hilton Dhaka
- The Westin Dhaka Hotel
- Lab Aid Cardiac Care Hospital
Besides being an architect, Palash is also an ardent painter. His solo painting exhibition titled Of Conflict and Harmony was held in 2009 at Gallery of Fine Arts of Asiatic Society, Dhaka. In June 2011 he had his third solo exhibition of Doodle Art titled Of Tears and Joyat Dhaka Art Centre.
From his childhood, art has been keenly connected with Palash's umbilical cord. As the son of a painter, he grew up in an artistic ambiance. During this time, he started to detect the imaginative world and documented his vision and observation.
When Palash feels saddened and his creative endeavour flourishes, brush and colours assist him to explore his inner vision. He records his pains, happiness and experiences through his canvas, which becomes a mirror of his pensive mood as reflected in his creative process. In the exposition, this is a clear statement about his aesthetic explorations. He is not concentrated on any particular theme, but nevertheless his themes are inextricably connected to each other. His paintings, done in oil and acrylic, feature various architectural designs or shapes. They as well plunge deep into Nature. He has complete freedom to identify himself for his working styles that are apparently synchronised and technically phenomenal. He wants to proceed with a certain style that can become a personal hallmark of his works.
Honors and awards
- Shilpacharya Puroshkar (Award) for Fine Arts Architecture 2011
- Berger Commendation Award for Excellence in Architecture (Grameenphone House), 2011
- Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB) Design Award 1998
- Holcim Green Built Bangladesh Award, 2010
- Berger Award for Excellence in Architecture, 2007
- Architect of the Year Award, instituted by JK Cement, India
- Kaleidoscopic visions: Mustapha Khalid Palash's drawing exhibition
- A Solo Painting Exhibition by Architect Mustapha Khalid Palash “of Conflict and Harmony”
- Roundtable Discussions with Architect Khalid and others hosted by Daily Star
- Celebration of architecture at AIUB
- Consultancy agreement for construction of Bank Asia's Structure
- EWU okays new campus design
- Engrossment with architectural lines and shapes
- Creativity abound: Mustapha Khalid Palash, a multifaceted powerhouse
- Profile:Mustapha Khalid (1963)
- A Life In Versatility: Mustapha Khalid Palash is 52 today
- ARCHITECTURE: A career for future
- Bangladesh: Experts urge adoption of rainwater-harvesting to ease water crisis
- Profile of Bashundhara City by Architect Khalid
- Engrossment with architectural lines and shapes
- Mustapha Khalid Palash – Accomplished Artist and Architect