Musti is a little kitten, living with their mother and father in a little house in a rural village, surrounded by a large garden with animals and trees. The character has been featured in animated TV series since 1969.
In 1969, Musti was developed into an animated series. In every episode, a specific story is told in a couple of minutes. The subjects are always linked to the world of small children, combining anthropomorphic animals and realistic situations. This series was first broadcast on Flemish television, with Rachel Frederix as narrator. In the Netherlands, Musti appeared on television in 1980. The narrators were Arnold Gelderman and Marijke Merckens. In the 1990s a second series was made, with a white background, with Musti's original pronunciation, Muh-sti, now changed to Moo-sti. In total, 156 episodes have been made, airing in two dozen countries.
In 2007, a new television series was created. Instead of flat 2D images with a white background, the new series is entirely rendered in 3D. The narrator is Kristel Van Craen. It airs in Belgium, the Netherlands, Israel, Norway, Japan, Croatia, Portugal and the United States on BabyFirst TV. Al-Jazeera aired the series throughout the Arabic world.
The Flemish publisher Standaard Uitgeverij carries an extensive portfolio of Musti children's books, targeting children aged 3–6.
Educational software programs have been developed with Musti as the lead character. They are currently only available in Dutch.
- Argentina: América 2
- Australia: Canal ABC
- Bolivia: Red ATB
- Bulgaria: Super 7
- Canada: Treehouse TV, 2007-2011
- Chile: Canal 13, on the children's show Cubox
- Colombia: Señal Colombia
- Cuba: Multivisión
- Ecuador: Ecuador TV
- El Salvador: Canal 19 local (Nickelodeon)
- France: France 5 Teletoon
- Germany: KiKa
- India: Disney Junior
- Israel: Babyes TV
- Italy: Rai YoYo and Rai 2
- Japan: WOWOW
- Latin America: Discovery Kids
- Mexico: Canal 5
- Panama: FETV Canal 5
- Poland: TVP1
- Portugal: Canal Panda and RTP2
- Scandinavia: Playhouse Disney
- Southeast Asia: Disney Channel
- South Korea: EBS
- Spain: Clan and Boomerang
- Sweden: SVT and STVB
- Turkey: TRT
- Uruguay: Canal 5 - Televisión Nacional Uruguay
- United States: BabyFirst TV
- Venezuela: TVes and Cartoon Network
- "ERProductionsMusti channel About page". ER Productions Musti Youtube channel. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Musti Facebook Info page". Musti Facebook page. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Avonturen van Musti binnenkort te zien op Al Jazeera". De Standaard (in Flemish). 2007-09-18.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)