Muswellbrook railway station
|Location||Market Street, Muswellbrook
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||288.78 kilometres from Central|
|Opened||19 May 1869|
The station opened on 19 May 1869 as Musclebrook, being renamed on 1 September 1890.
For a number of years in the 1980s, the passenger services were replaced by road coaches while the line was upgraded. Rail services were restored on 14 March 1988.
In early 2007, the Australian Rail Track Corporation commenced work to rationalise the tracks within the yard and add a passing loop long enough to accommodate 1,500 metre long trains. Upon completion, freight trains are to pass through the yard area at 80 km/h, improving travel times.
In March 2009, duplication of the Main Northern line reached Muswellbrook station, the completion of a project to upgrade the line to double track between Antiene and Muswellbrook to improve coal haulage capacity.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Hamilton (Newcastle) & Scone|||
|services to Armidale/Moree & Sydney Central|||
- Muswellbrook Station NSWrail.net
- Muswellbrook Railway Precinct NSW Environment & Heritage
- "Rail Returns to Muswellbrook" Railway Digest April 1988 page 121
- St Heliers to Muswellbrook Duplication Commissioning Australian Rail Track Corporation 17 March 2009
- "In Brief: Duplication reaches Muswellbrook after 59 years" Railway Digest June 2009
- "Hunter line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 18 April 2015.
- "North West timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 20 October 2013.