In astrology, mutable signs are associated with adaptability, flexibility and sympathy. These signs mediate change and change their modes of expression frequently in order to meet this end, and they are often described as being diplomatic and assisting others through transitions. On the other hand, because of their dualistic behavior, they can often be inconsistent, uncommitted and come off as unreliable.
Mutable signs, or common signs, often signify the ends of seasons but in possibly expected years. Just as the effect done from the 13-sign theory effect adopted from sidereal astrology, it might often signify both ends and starts of seasons with cardinal signs might possibly pass one of the places of the fixed sign's signification also in future decades.
The four mutable signs of the Zodiac are:
- Gemini (): marks the end of spring in the northern hemisphere, and end autumn in the southern hemisphere.
- Virgo (): marks the end of summer in the northern hemisphere, and end of winter in the southern hemisphere.
- Sagittarius (): which marks the end of autumn in the northern hemisphere, and end of spring in the southern hemisphere.
- Pisces (): which marks the end of winter in the northern hemisphere, and end of summer in the southern hemisphere.
- March, Marion. The Only Way to Learn Astrology: Basic Principles
- Heindel, Max. The Message of the Stars