Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shōjirō Nishimi|
Guillaume "Run" Renard
|Produced by||Anthony Roux|
|Screenplay by||Guillaume "Run" Renard|
by Guillaume "Run" Renard
|Music by||The Toxic Avenger|
|Edited by||Ivy Buirette|
|Distributed by||Tamasa (France)|
Mutafukaz[a] (Japanese: ムタフカズ －MUTAFUKAZ－ Hepburn: Mutafukazu, released as MFKZ in some markets) is a 2017 adult animated science fiction film based on the comic series of the same name. The film was a French-Japanese co-production between Ankama Animations and Studio 4°C and is directed by Shōjirō Nishimi and Guillaume "Run" Renard. The comic was published in English as Mutafukaz by Titan Comics with only one volume released on October 27, 2015. Mutafukaz was released in France on May 23, 2018 and in Japan on October 12, 2018.
The film opens when a young woman, carrying an infant, is chased by black suited men lead by Bruce Macchabe. The woman and her infant are saved by a dog who spouts tentacles with Bruce referring to it as a "traitor". The woman leaves the infant in a dumpster where it is found by the dog and the woman is captured and killed by Bruce.
Years later, the infant, now a grown young adult named Angelino, lives in a run down apartment with his flaming skull headed friend Vinz and their numerous cockroaches who act as their "pets". While making a delivery, Angelino spots Luna, a beautiful young woman, and is suddenly struck by a truck, resulting in him losing his job. The next day while hanging out with their cat-like friend Willy, Angelino begins experiencing headaches and visions with certain people displaying misshapen tentacle shadows. The trio realize they are being chased by men in black and manage to defeat and outrun them.
Later, a SWAT team storms Angelino and Vinz's apartment, which triggers Angelino to unleash a hidden power and defeat them. The cockroaches also leave to search for Angelino while a Luchador tells his fellow comrades about a vision he had about a potential evil they must combat. Willy gives Angelino and Vinz a house to stay in though they are later found by the men in black, who engage the local gangs in a gun fight, killing several people in the process. Angelino and Vinz escape by stealing an ice cream truck, while one of the men in black, Agent Crocodile, vows revenge.
Angelino and Vinz make it to the restaurant they frequent by and run into Luna who appears to sympathize with them. However, it is revealed that she is involved with the men in black and they are captured. Angelino meets Luna's father, Mr. K, who reveals that he is part of an extraterrestrial race called the Macho who have already invaded earth and have many members in authoritative roles. Their plan is to inflict global warming in an attempt to terraform the planet as they cannot withstand cold temperatures. Angelino is the result of a human woman and a Macho father whose eloping was considered treasonous. Mr. K tries to convince Angelino to accept his Macho side by killing Vinz but Luna starts to sympathize with Angelino after having a vision of his mother's sacrifice.
The cockroaches, who have managed to find Angelino, are followed by the Luchadores who have begun believing the visions. Angelino fights his urge to kill Vinz and they escape their confines. However, Angelino falls unconscious, but he and Vinz are rescued by the Luchadores who have also freed a scientist named Professor Fagor. They make it to a secluded shack in the desert where the Luchadores and Fagor have begun building a rocket while Angelino and Vinz escape.
Crocodile arrives at Willy's house and holds him hostage. Feeling bad for their friend, Angelino and Vinz decide to go and help him, unaware of the trap set for them. Angelino rescues Willy while a helicopter crushes Crocodile, killing him. The Luchadores and Fagor launch the rocket, triggering it to snow across the country, freezing and killing all of the hidden Macho. Angelino, being half Macho, begins freezing, but is rescued by Luna's kiss. Bruce arrives and engages in a fight against Angelino. Before Bruce could kill Angelino, the local gangs murder him by shooting him continuously. As Angelino comes to, he realizes that Luna has disappeared.
Two months later, everything goes back to "normal" with people forgetting about the incident. Willy gets a record contract, though Angelino believes it will not last long, Vinz finally gets a job at the restaurant that they frequent to and Angelino has been writing letters to Luna, despite not knowing where she lives, though it is shown that she is still living somewhere in DMC. Mr. K is shown to have survived and has set up base on the moon where he begins sending UFOs to potentially invade earth.
- French cast
- Orelsan as Angelino
- Gringe as Vinz
- Redouanne Harjane as Willy
- Féodor Atkine as Mister K
- Kelly Marot as Luna
- Julien Kramer as Bruce Macchabée & El Diablo
- Emmanuel Karsen as Randy Crocodile
- English cast
- Kenn Michael as Angelino
- Vince Staples as Vinz
- Dino Andrade as Willy
- Michael Chiklis as Agent Randy Crocodile
- Giancarlo Esposito as Mr. K
- Jorge Gutierrez as El Tigre
- Dascha Polanco as Luna
- RZA as Shakespeare (a.k.a. Popeye)
- Danny Trejo as Bruce
Mutafukaz had its world premiere on June 13, 2017 at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival. The film was released in France on May 23, 2018. Parco released the film in Japan on October 12, 2018. GKIDS released the English dub of the film in a limited theatrical run in North America and Canada on October 11 and October 16, 2018.
- Mutafukaz - Annecy Film Credits
- Mutafukaz - Annecy Programme
- "MFKZ (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 22, 2018.
- MFKZ in Select U.S. Cinemas Nationwide on October 11 & 16
- Lang, Jamie (June 11, 2017). "Annecy: See the First English-Subtitled Trailer for Ankama's 'Mutafukaz' (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved September 9, 2018.
- Lang, Jamie (June 12, 2017). "Mutafukaz creator-director Guillaume 'Run' Renard talks inspiration, animation and adaptation". Variety. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- Titan Comics to publish Mutafukaz
- Blais-Billie, Braudie; Strauss, Matthew (September 27, 2018). "Watch a New Trailer for the Vince Staples-Starring Anime Film MFKZ". Pitchfork. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- French-Japanese “Mutafukaz” by STUDIO 4°C Gets Japan Release!
- Goodfellow, Melanie (February 15, 2018). "Celluloid Dreams sells 'Mutafukaz' to UK, Germany (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Retrieved September 9, 2018.
- French, Alan (July 26, 2018). "GKIDS picks up North American Rights to MFKZ". Awards Circuit. Retrieved September 8, 2018.
- "MFKZ (2018)- Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
|This article related to a French film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|