|• Total||9.30 km2 (3.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,395 m (4,577 ft)|
|• Density||6.6/km2 (17/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Sils im Domleschg, Stierva, Vaz/Obervaz, Zillis-Reischen|
|Twin towns||Riehen (Switzerland)|
Mutten (Romansh: Mut) is a former municipality in the Viamala Region in the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. On 1 January 2018 the former municipality of Mutten merged into the municipality of Thusis.
Mutten is first mentioned in 1363 as unz uff die Mutten though this identification is debated. In 1549 it was mentioned as Hans ab Mutten.
Before the merger, Mutten had an area, as of 2006[update], of 9.9 km2 (3.8 sq mi). Of this area, 29.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 60.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (8.8%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Before 2017, the municipality was located in the Alvaschein sub-district of the Albula district, after 2017 it was part of the Viamala Region. It is a three level settlement located to the south of the Schin Gorge (Schinschlucht). It consists of the village of Unter-Mutten (occupied year round and at an elevation of 1,394 m (4,573 ft)), the middle village of Stafel (1,761 m (5,778 ft)) and the upper or Ober-Mutten (1,860 m (6,100 ft)).
Mutten had a population (as of 2015) of 72. As of 2008[update], 2.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -6.8%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (98.8%), with a small Romansh minority (1.3%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 57.3% male and 42.7% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Mutten is; 9 people or 11.3% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 5 people or 6.3% are 10 to 14, and 6 people or 7.5% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 2 people or 2.5% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 7 people or 8.8% are 30 to 39, 13 people or 16.3% are 40 to 49, and 15 people or 18.8% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 6 people or 7.5% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 11 people or 13.8% are 70 to 79, there are 5 people or 6.3% who are 80 to 89, and there is 1 person or 1.3% who are 90 to 99.
Mutten has an unemployment rate of 0%. As of 2005[update], there were 20 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 10 businesses involved in this sector. people are employed in the secondary sector and there are businesses in this sector. 4 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 2 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Bilanz der ständigen Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Staatsangehörigkeit (Kategorie), Geschlecht und demographischen Komponenten". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- Mutten in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 25-Sep-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz - Mutationsmeldungen 2016 accessed 16 February 2017
- Graubunden in Numbers Archived 2009-09-24 at the Wayback Machine ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics Archived 2009-08-27 at the Wayback Machine ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 21 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mutten.|