|• Total||9.96 km2 (3.85 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,395 m (4,577 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||6.7/km2 (17/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Sils im Domleschg, Stierva, Vaz/Obervaz, Zillis-Reischen|
|Twin towns||Riehen (Switzerland)|
Mutten is first mentioned in 1363 as unz uff die Mutten though this identification is debated. In 1549 it was mentioned as Hans ab Mutten.
Mutten has an area, as of 2006[update], of 9.9 km2 (3.8 sq mi). Of this area, 29.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 60.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (8.8%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Before 2017, the municipality was located in the Alvaschein sub-district of the Albula district, after 2017 it was part of the Viamala Region. It is a three level settlement located to the south of the Schin Gorge (Schinschlucht). It consists of the village of Unter-Mutten (occupied year round and at an elevation of 1,394 m (4,573 ft)), the middle village of Stafel (1,761 m (5,778 ft)) and the upper or Ober-Mutten (1,860 m (6,100 ft)).
Mutten has a population (as of 31 December 2016) of 67. As of 2008[update], 2.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -6.8%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (98.8%), with a small Romansh minority (1.3%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 57.3% male and 42.7% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Mutten is; 9 people or 11.3% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 5 people or 6.3% are 10 to 14, and 6 people or 7.5% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 2 people or 2.5% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 7 people or 8.8% are 30 to 39, 13 people or 16.3% are 40 to 49, and 15 people or 18.8% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 6 people or 7.5% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 11 people or 13.8% are 70 to 79, there are 5 people or 6.3% who are 80 to 89, and there is 1 person or 1.3% who are 90 to 99.
Mutten has an unemployment rate of 0%. As of 2005[update], there were 20 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 10 businesses involved in this sector. people are employed in the secondary sector and there are businesses in this sector. 4 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 2 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Mutten in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 25-Sep-2009
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz - Mutationsmeldungen 2016 accessed 16 February 2017
- Graubunden in Numbers (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
- Graubunden Population Statistics (in German) accessed 21 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mutten.|