|Developer(s)||The GNOME Project|
|Initial release||April 2011|
|Stable release||3.26.0 (13 September 2017) [±]|
|Preview release||3.27.4 (10 January 2018[±])|
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD|
Mutter is a window manager initially designed and implemented for the X Window System, and recently has evolved to be a Wayland compositor. It became the default window manager in GNOME 3, replacing Metacity which used GTK+ for rendering. Mutter uses a graphics library called Clutter giving it OpenGL capability. Mutter is a portmanteau of Metacity and Clutter.
Mutter can function as a standalone window manager for GNOME-like desktops and serves as the primary window manager for the GNOME Shell, which is an integral part of GNOME 3. Mutter is extensible with plugins and supports numerous visual effects. GNOME Shell is written as a plugin to Mutter.
Parts of this article (those related to Performance) need to be updated.(July 2016)
Muffin is a fork of Mutter by the Linux Mint team for their Cinnamon desktop environment. Cinnamon's shell, a fork of GNOME Shell, is written as a plugin for Muffin.
- "Debian Mutter Package in sid".
- Vervloesem, Koen (2009-08-04). "Mutter: a window manager for GNOME 3". LWN.net. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- Kissling, Kristian (2009-07-08). "Mutter: Window Manager in GNOME's Future". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "wayland: Add basic hidpi support". 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "mutter 3.13.2 release notes". 2014-05-27.
- "wayland: Implement the server side bits of wl_touch_interface". 2014-06-04.
- "mutter 3.13.3 release notes". 2014-06-24.
- "Bug 724442 - Touchscreen does not work".
- Larabel, Michael (2010-06-21). "Mutter Can Cause A Gaming/OpenGL Performance Hit Too". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Larabel, Michael (2010-05-21). "The Cost Of Running Compiz". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.