|Elevation||3,900 ft (1,190 m)|
|Population (2009 Estimate)|
Mutukula is a town in the Central Region of Uganda, the third-largest economy in the East African Community. It sits adjacent to Mutukula, Tanzania, directly across the international Uganda/Tanzania border.
Mutukula is located in extreme southern Rakai District at the international border between Uganda and Tanzania. The town is approximately 81 kilometres (50 mi), by road, south-west of Masaka, the largest city in the sub-region. This location is approximately 211 kilometres (131 mi), by road, south-west of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. The coordinates of the town are 1°00'00.0"S, 31°25'00.0"E (Latitude:-1.0000; Longitude:31.4167).
The town of Mutukula is a border town between Uganda and Tanzania. At an altitude of 1,190 metres (3,900 ft), above sea level, Mutukula is an important border post and major crossing point, for both human and commercial traffic. In February 2016, the border post between both countries merged operations on both sides. Vehicles and passengers clear customs and immigration once in the country they are leaving, with officials from both countries present.
In 2017, the border crossing between Mutukula, Uganda and Mutukula, Tanzania was converted into a one-stop-border-post (OSBP), open 24 hours every day of the year. Vehicles, passengers, luggage, merchandise and pedestrians are cleared once by customs and immigration staff from both countries, at a station in the country of entry. This cuts the time it takes to cross by anywhere from 30 percent to 50 percent. Other stakeholders report reduction in crossing times by as much as 90 percent.
As of July 2009, the population of Mutukula was estimated at 15,000 people.
Points of interest
The following additional points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of the town:
- offices of Mutukula Town Council
- Mutukula Airport - A military and civilian airport, located approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north of town
- Mutukula prison - A medium security correctional facility
- Mutukula central market
- Mutebi, Brian (1 August 2014). "Mutukula: Where residents live in two countries". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- "Road Distance Between Masaka And Mutukula With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Interactive Map Showing Kampala And Mutukula With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Google (10 July 2015). "Location of Mutukula, Uganda At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- Mutebi, Brian (1 August 2014). "Mutukula: Where Residents Live In Two Countries". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Matsiko, Philomena (27 February 2016). "TradeMark East Africa hands over $15m Mutukula border post". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- BDA Reporter (8 November 2017). "Tanzania, Uganda one-stop border post to cut clearance time". The EastAfrican Quoting Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Sabiiti, Moses (9 November 2017). "Home News Mutukula One-Stop border post to ease trade between Tanzania, Uganda". New Vision (newspaper). Kampala. Retrieved 9 November 2017.
- UN Human Settlements Program. "Tanzania/Uganda: Border Town Water Project Kicks Off". United Nations Human Settlements Programme. Retrieved 17 January 2015.