Muyembe–Nakapiripirit Road

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Muyembe–Nakapiripirit Road
Route information
Length71 mi (114 km)
HistoryDesignated in 2016
Construction expected to start in 2019
Completion expected in 2023.
Major junctions
South endMuyembe
North endNakapiripirit

Muyembe–Nakapiripirit Road is a road in the Eastern and Northern regions of Uganda. The road connects the towns of Muyembe in Sironko District, to the town of Nakapiripirit in Nakapiripirit District.[1]

Location[edit]

The road starts at Muyembe, approximately 35 kilometres (22 mi)[2] northeast of Mbale, the largest city in Eastern Uganda.[3] The road continues north to end at Nakapiripirit, a total distance of approximately 114 kilometres (71 mi).[4] The coordinates of the road near Tabagonyi are 1°28'45.0"N, 34°24'56.0"E (Latitude:1.479179; Longitude:34.415548).[5]

Upgrade to bitumen[edit]

Plans are underway to upgrade this gravel road to class II bitumen surface with road width of 7 metres (23 ft), shoulders of 1.5 metres (4.9 ft), with drainage channels and culverts. In December 2014, this road was listed as "At project preparation".[6]

In March 2015, the Ugandan Parliament, authorized the borrowing of US$110 million, representing 86% of the cost, from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB). The government of Uganda will fund the remaining 14%, amounting to about US$18 million or local currency equivalent.[7]

In December 2015, Uganda National Roads Authority advertised for construction companies to tender bids for the construction works, totalling 92 kilometres (57 mi) of main roads and an additional 25 kilometres (16 mi) of side roads and connectors, totalling 117 kilometres (73 mi). Following the evaluation of those bids, a preferred contractor will be selected and a construction contract will be executed between the parties concerned.[8]

Financing[edit]

In November 2018, the Daily Monitor newspaper reported that the Islamic Development Bank had committed to lend US$114.12 million while the government of Uganda will contribute $18 million in counter-funding, of which US$5 million will go towards land compensation. Construction is expected to start in 2019 and last 3 years.[1]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b Wesonga, Nelson (6 November 2018). "Work on Muyembe–Nakapiripirit road expected to start next year". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
  2. ^ GFC (8 January 2016). "Distance between Mbale, Eastern Region, Uganda and Muyembe, Eastern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 8 January 2016.
  3. ^ UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 8 January 2016.
  4. ^ GFC (8 January 2016). "Distance between Muyembe, Eastern Region, Uganda and Nakapiripirit, Northern Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 8 January 2016.
  5. ^ Google (8 January 2016). "Location of Muyembe–Nakapiripirit Road near Tabagonyi" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
  6. ^ Shantel, Denzel (31 December 2014). "UNRA Releases 2015 Road & Bridge Projects". Kampala: Showbizuganda.com. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
  7. ^ Nakatudde, Olive (11 March 2015). "Parliament Okays Shs330billion Loan for Nakapiripirit Road". Kampala: Uganda Radio Networ. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
  8. ^ Islamic Development Bank (6 December 2015). "Tenders Opportunities for Projects Financed by IDB: Tender Title: SPN - CIVIL WORKS FOR THE UPGRADING OF 92KM MUYEMBE – NAKAPIRIPIRIT ROAD AND 25KM SECONDARY LINK ROADS". Jeddah, Saudi Arabia: Islamic Development Bank. Retrieved 8 January 2016.

External links[edit]

Coordinates: 01°28′45″N 34°24′56″E / 1.47917°N 34.41556°E / 1.47917; 34.41556