This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Passenger and freight train line|
|Operator(s)||Indian Railway, East Central Railway|
|Depot(s)||Narayanpur Anant station in Muzaffarpur|
|Rolling stock||Diesel locos: WDM-2, WDM-3A|
|Line length||65.8 km (40.9 mi)|
|Track length||69 km (42.9 mi)|
|Number of tracks||1 (Diesel BG)|
|Track gauge||Broad bauge 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Operating speed||up to 90 km/h (56 mph)|
|Highest elevation||73 m (240 ft)|
Project and construction
It took 16 years to complete the 63 km long Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi broad gauge railway line. The project cost Rs 550 crore though the initial estimate was Rs 250 crore. The railway was completed from Runni Saidpur to Sitamarhi in April 2011. The remaining section between Muzaffarpur and Runni Saidpur took another two years due to civil objections.
|Station code||Station name||Distance (km)|
|NRSD||New Runnisaidpur Halt||38.18|
Until December 2014, 2 pairs of passenger trains and 3 pairs of Mail/Express trains were running in the Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi section.
From 13 July 2014, Sitamarhi–Delhi Anand Vihar Terminal Lichchavi Express was diverted to run via Muzaffarpur in the Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi section which earlier ran via Darbhanga→Samastipur→Muzaffarpur. Now the 14006/14005 Lichchavi Express directly runs between Sitamarhi→Muzaffarpur.
- DEMU Trains
- 75207/75208 Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi–Samastipur Passenger
- 75255/75256 Muzaffarpur–Darbhanga Passenger
- 75215/75216 Raxaul-Patliputra Fast Passenger
- Mail/Express Trains
- 14008/14007 Sadbhavana Express (Raxaul–Delhi via Muzaffarpur & Sitamarhi)
- 14018/14017 Sadbhavana Express (Raxaul–Delhi via Muzaffarpur & Sitamarhi)
- 14006/14005 Lichchavi Express (Sitamarhi–Delhi Anand Vihar Terminal via Muzaffarpur)
- 13123/13124 Sitamarhi- Sealdah Express
The Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi section of Muzaffarpur–Gorakhpur line (via Hajipur, Raxaul and Sitamarhi) is not an A-Class line of Indian Railways. So maximum speed is restricted to 100 km/h, as there is single BG non-electrified line between Muzaffarpur Junction and Sitamarhi Junction which was completed in 2013.
Sidings and workshops
- Barauni–Gorakhpur, Raxaul and Jainagar lines
- Samastipur–Muzaffarpur section
- Barauni–Samastipur section
- Hajipur Junction railway station
- East Central Railway zone
- Singh, Shyam Kishore (27 March 2013). "First train from Sitamarhi to Muzaffarpur chugs off". Times of India.
- "After 16 long years low-key inauguration of Muzaffarpur-Sitamarhi rail link". Bihar Times. 28 March 2013.
- "Sonpur Division Operating Performance". East Central Railway. 20 September 2013. Archived from the original on 29 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Muzaffarpur–Sitamarhi section.|