Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|मुजफ्फरपुर प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान|
|College of Civil Engineering, Muzaffarpur (1954–1959)|
Motto in English
|Work is above everything else|
|Principal||Mr. Jagnanand jha|
|Dean||Mr. Jagnanand jha|
|Location||Muzaffarpur, Bihar, India|
|Campus||Urban 85 acres (340,000 m2)|
|Affiliations||Aryabhatta Knowledge University,patna|
Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology (Devanāgarī: मुजफ्फरपुर प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान) (commonly referred to as MIT, Muzaffarpur) is a public, coeducational engineering college in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, India. It is wholly funded by the government of science and technology department of Bihar. It was founded in 1954, just after India attained independence in 1947. The foundation stone was laid by the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru .} It runs undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Engineering and Pharmacy. The institute has a campus at Muzaffarpur.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Admission
- 4 University affiliation
- 5 Academic departments
- 6 Degree programs
- 7 Graduate studies after MIT
- 8 Student life
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 References
- 11 External links
MIT (established with the name College of Civil Engineering, Muzaffarpur) began on September 25, 1954 with one discipline: Civil Engineering. Committee recommended the establishment of higher technical institutions in India, along the lines of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and consulting from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign along with affiliated secondary institutions. The report urged that work should start with the speedy establishment of major institutions in the four quarters of the country with the ones in the east and the west to be set up immediately It was inaugurated by C.P.N. Singh, governor of then East Punjab (now Punjab, Haryana and parts of Himachal Pradesh). The first Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru laid the foundation of the main building on April 21, 1956. Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering disciplines were added in 1960 and the institute was renamed as Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology. Pharmacy and Leather Technology were added in 1978 and 1986 respectively. Information Technology and Electronics and Communication Engineering disciplines were introduced in 2001. In December 2008, the government of Bihar declared that MIT would be developed into a model engineering college.
The campus is in the north-west corner of Muzaffarpur city, along Muzaffarpur–Motihari road, and spread over an area of 250 acres (1,000,000 m2) four kilometers from Muzaffarpur railway station. The institute is flanked by the river Burhi Gandak on the north, a reservoir on the east, Muzaffarpur–Motihari road on the south, and the road network on the west.
The campus is divided into following zones:
- Academic Zone that includes department offices, lecture theaters, libraries
- Student Residential Zone
- Faculty and Staff Residential Zone
- Student Recreational Area that includes football ground, cricket ground, badminton courts, hockey field.
- AVH is the hall for the cultural activities this hall has special sound system 52.1 channels which is first in any college of india.
The campus has student activity centre, primary school named MIT Bal Niketan International School , branch of State Bank of India, post office, central bank of india and a temple.mit has their own security system .
Admission to undergraduate courses is made on the basis of merit in a competitive examination conducted by the Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board. Bihar Domicile students are eligible to appear in this examination. This is very tough competition after jee and AIEEE among all the states of country . Examination contains two parts PT & MAINS . Only 1000 seats are available in government . Admission to postgraduate programmes is done on all India basis based upon score in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) conducted by IITs/IISc.
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Leather Technology 22nd rank
- Department of Pharmacy class campus
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Humanities
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)
MIT has the following branches at the undergraduate Bachelor of Technology level. The number of seats available in each discipline is given in parentheses:
- Civil Engineering (60)
- Mechanical Engineering (60)
- Electrical Engineering (60)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (40)
- Information Technology (40)
- Leather Technology (30)
Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm.)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (15)
Master of Technology
At the postgraduate M.Tech level MIT has the following branches:
- Machine Design (under the department of Mechanical Engineering) (18 full-time + 4 part-time)
- Thermal Engineering (under the department of Mechanical Engineering) (18 full-time + 5 part-time)
- Manufacturing Technology (under the department of Mechanical Engineering) (18 full-time )
Facilities for Ph.D. research exist in all departments.
Graduate studies after MIT
MIT students have pursued Ph.D/M.S/MBA in universities around the world.
The institute is residential in nature. There are seven boys hostels having a capacity to accommodate 1400 students and one girls hostel (the Golden Jubilee Girls Hostel) with a capacity to accommodate 200 students.hostel -01(damodar hostel) had constructed in 1952 before college main building had constructed. Guest Houses for parents and others situated in campus.
The technical fest of MIT Muzaffarpur organised every year in Mid-Semesters either last week of April Or first week of May.It is managed by students of club "The Devs" Technical club of College.Every year it witness a huge number of Students from all over the State thanks to the Committee and The Devs and to all of the students to make it a huge success. Originous Night the last day of fest always makes the most out of it. Coordinators and Organisers along with their respective managers work in sync to execute and implement the spectacle called ORIGINOUS m-fest.There are number of technical events goes on Campus like Robosapiens,RC Airplanes,Workshop,Codera and so on.
Sports & Arts club
The sports club has been functioning since 1954 and provides facilities for Cricket, Lawn Tennis, Badminton, Volleyball, Basketball, Football Table- Tennis and Indore games. The club organizes the institute's annual sports, an Inter-college athletic meet and a lawn tennis tournament every year at MIT sports grounds. Inter college and Interstates tournaments helds every year. MIT has an arts club having all musical instruments like guitar,piano,drum etc. The audio-visual hall of the institute serves as a venue to stage cultural activities.
The Small Industries Research, Training and Development Organization (SIRTDO) was established at MIT in 1976 with financial support from the government of Bihar with the objective to encourage entrepreneurship among MIT students. The organization organizes orientation programmes with the collaboration of other national level institutes. SIRTDO acts as incubation center for new business ventures by providing facilities at the campus and provides training to the entrepreneurs in product design, development and management, marketing and finance.
- M.Shamimur Rahman, Professor of Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, United States.
- Jasbir Singh Virk, Principal, Govind Ballabh Pant Engineering College, Pauri
- Dr. U. C. Jha, Principal, LNCT
- Bimlesh Kumar Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati
- Group Captain (Retd.) K. P. Srivastava, Professor of Management, Birla Institute of Technology
- Suresh Chandra Verma, Engineer-in-Chief-cum-Addl Comm(Retd.), Road Construction Department, Bihar
- Gunjan Kumar Asst. Manager (Civil) at Coal India Ltd., www.coalindia.in 
- Mukesh Kumar, Vice President , SBI Osaka, Japan
- Dr. Chandan Kumar, Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati
- Dr.Nagendra Roy (former H.O.D) Professor (civil /Geotechnical Engineering Group) at National Institute of Technology Rourkela.
- Prasant Jha Assistant Manager(Mktg.) at Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd.
- Birendra Kumar Nishad, DM, NHPC Ltd., www.nhpcindia.gov.in
- Sandeep Kumar, ET, NTPC Ltd., www.ntpc.co.in
- http://dst.bih.nic.in/ and http://dotnet.bih.nic.in/EngineeringColleges.aspx Retrieved on 24/11/2009
- http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http://www.geocities.com/mitmuz/roh.html&date=2009-10-26+02:45:59 Roll of Honour
- http://www.mitmuzaffarpur.org/intro.asp Retrieved on 21/12/2007
- http://www.bihartimes.com/Newsbihar/2008/Dec/Newsbihar02Dec6.html Retrieved on 02/01/2009
- http://www.mitmuzaffarpur.org/eligibility.asp Retrieved on 21/12/2007
- http://www.gbpec.net/about_our_principal.htm Retrieved on 21/03/2009
- http://www.iitg.ernet.in/bimk/ Retrieved on 04/09/2009
- http://in.linkedin.com/pub/kishore-prasad-srivastava/18/623/b31 Retrieved on 21/08/2010
- http://in.linkedin.com/pub/kishore-prasad-srivastava/18/623/b31 Retrieved on 21/08/2010