The Mwanza Region
Mkoa wa Mwanza (Swahili)
The southern shores of Lake Victoria.
Regional map before partition in 2012
|• Regional Commissioner||John Mongela|
|• Total||9,467 km2 (3,655 sq mi)|
|• Density||290/km2 (760/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
The region is administratively divided into seven districts:
|Districts of Mwanza Region|
Population and area
According to the 2012 national census, the Mwanza Region had a population of 2,772,509, which was lower than the pre-census projection of 3,771,067.:page 2 For 2002-2012, the region's 3.0 percent average annual population growth rate was the eighth highest in the country.:page 4 It was also the sixth most densely populated region with 293 people per square kilometer.:page 6
The Mwanza Region is occupied by Four tribes include the Wasukuma, the Wakerewe, Wakara and Wazinza. Mwanza city's Makongoro Road is named after a prominent Sukuma chief who controlled the area in the late 1800s. Under British rule, the region was one district in the Lake Province, which became the Lake Region after independence. In 1963, the Mwanza Region was created.
Wasukuma tribe is the major tribe occupying the Mwanza Region, the other region that is occupied by Wasukuma is Shinyanga Region,Geita Region and Simiyu region
Mwanza region is well connected by road, rail, water and air transport.
- Kitabu cha Mawasiliano Serikalini, Tanzania Government Directory, 2012, page 181
- Population Distribution by Administrative Units, United Republic of Tanzania, 2013 Archived 2013-05-02 at the Wayback Machine
- "Socio-Economic Profile of Mwanza Region" (PDF). The Planning Commission, Dar es Salaam, and The Regional Commissioner's Office, Mwanza. October 1997. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 May 2004.
- "Mwanza Roads Network" (PDF). Tanroads. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Railways Network". Tanzania Railways Limited. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- Government site on Mwanza region
- Mwanza Women Development
- St Augustine University of Tanzania at RC.net