|Original author(s)||Martin Renold|
|Initial release||March 12, 2005|
1.2.1 / January 21, 2017
1.2.0-beta.3 / November 21, 2015
|Written in||C, C++ and Python (GTK+)|
|Operating system||Windows, OS X, Linux|
|Platform||IA-32 and x64|
|Type||Raster graphics editor|
|License||GNU GPLv2 or later|
MyPaint is a free and open-source raster graphics editor for digital painters with a focus on painting rather than image manipulation or post processing. MyPaint is available for Microsoft Windows, OS X, and Linux. It is in some ways similar to Corel Painter.
Among MyPaint's capabilities are:
- Pressure-sensitive graphics tablet support
- Dynamic brush library, standalone for integration into third-party applications
- Layer management
- Simple interface
- Gamut masking color wheel
- "Unlimited" canvas not requiring predetermination of image size
MyPaint has a custom procedural brush engine optimized for use with pressure-sensitive graphics tablets. In later MyPaint versions, the engine was broken out into the separately maintained libmypaint library to make it easier to integrate into other applications.
Native file format
The Adobe PSD file format changed its license in 2006, and it is now only permitted to develop applications using it in order to interact with Adobe software. As a result, a comprehensive graphics design format, OpenRaster, was developed based on the Open Document format. MyPaint uses Open Raster as its default format, but also supports saving images to PNG or JPEG.
- MyPaint meetup, attending LGM2010, 2010-05-09, Jon Nordby, Grapikslabor, In Zürich I also meet up with Martin Renold, the creator of MyPaint.
- About >> Martin Renold's Linkpage, MyPaint painting application that I have initially written
- MyPaint: mixing Python and C, Martin Renold is one of the MyPaint maintainers. He created the program in 2004 while studying, - 13th LSM from 7 to 12 July 2012, Libre Software Meeting
- Developer Monologue: Short History of MyPaint, 2009-06-18 - Martin Renold's log2
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 4, 2005. Retrieved 2017-09-21.
- Latest release
- "Download". mypaint.org/downloads/. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- "COPYING". Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- "Downloads". mypaint.info. MyPaint. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- Open Source painting with MyPaint, 2010-04-02, By Nathan Willis, Worldlabel Blog
- MyPaint 0.8.0 Review, Alexandre Prokoudine, 2010-01-31, Libre Graphics World
- "MyPaint - Summary". Gna!. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "MyPaint 1.2.0 release note".
- "Brushlib/libmypaint is now a separate module". Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- "GIMP, Krita, MyPaint teams discuss common brushpack format". Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Prokoudine, Alexandre (2010-09-30). "Interview with Sintel's art director David Revoy". Libre Graphics World. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Willis, Nathan (2006-07-07). "Debate arises over an open raster graphics format". Linux.com Archive. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- "Basic usage Tutorial: Saving and exporting your work". MyPaint (official site). 2010. Archived from the original on 2008-05-17. Retrieved 2013-03-25.