My Baby (The Temptations song)
|Single by The Temptations|
|from the album The Temptin' Temptations|
|B-side||"Don't Look Back"|
|Released||September 30, 1965
October 30, 1965
|Recorded||Hitsville USA (Studio A);
August 4 and August 11, 1965
|Genre||Soul, R&B, Pop|
|The Temptations singles chronology|
"My Baby" is a 1965 hit single recorded by The Temptations for the Gordy (Motown) label. Written by Miracles members Smokey Robinson, Bobby Rogers, and Pete Moore and produced by Robinson, the song was a top 20 pop hit in the United States, and a top 5 hit on the R&B charts.
An extension of the theme from the group's #1 hit "My Girl", which had been released the previous December, "My Baby" features The Temptations, with David Ruffin on lead, bragging about the qualities of a special lady. Ruffin praises his woman's hairstyles ("hair soft like a baby lamb/and I love to run my fingers through it") and personality ("the gold in her personality/could set Fort Knox to shame"), and hopes that "she digs me the way I am/but if I have to change/you know I'm gona do it for my baby".
"My Baby" was a notable attempt to create an uptempo danceable number for the Temptations; all of their previous Top 20 hits to this point had been either ballads or mid-tempo numbers. The single immediately following "My Baby", "Get Ready", followed the same plan, and was produced with an even faster tempo and a brassier arrangement.
Unusually for Temptations singles, "My Baby's" B-side, the Paul Williams-led "Don’t Look Back", was a minor hit in its own right, becoming a top 20 R&B hit and serving for several years as the Temptations' live-show closing number."Don't Look Back" was actually the original "A" side of Gordy 7047, but was passed over by the nation's DJ's in favor of the Ruffin-led "My Baby",which relegated "Don't Look Back" to "B"-side status. Both sides of the single would be remixed for its 2nd pressing, adding on the following statements: "Taken from the album #G 914 The Temptin' Temptations."
- Lead Vocals by David Ruffin
- Background Vocals by Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, and Otis Williams
- Written by William "Smokey" Robinson, Ronald White, and Warren Moore
- Produced by Smokey Robinson
- Instrumentation by The Funk Brothers
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Chart||13|
|U.S. Billboard R&B Singles||4|
- Williams, Otis and Romanowski, Patricia (1988, updated 2002). Temptations. Lanham, MD: Cooper Square. ISBN 0-8154-1218-5.
- Williams, Otis and Weigner, Harry (2002). My Girl: The Very Best of the Temptations (Compact disc liner notes). New York: Motown/Universal Records.