My Baby Loves Me (Martha and the Vandellas song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"My Baby Loves Me"|
|Single by Martha and the Vandellas|
|from the album Greatest Hits|
|B-side||"Never Leave Your Baby's Side"|
|Released||January 4, 1966|
|Recorded||Hitsville USA (Studio A), Detroit, Michigan; August 23, 1965|
|Songwriter(s)||William "Mickey" Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter and Sylvia Moy|
|Producer(s)||William "Mickey" Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter|
|Martha and the Vandellas singles chronology|
"My Baby Loves Me" is a 1966 soul standard by Martha Reeves but released under Martha and The Vandellas. None of the Vandellas are featured in this song. Instead, the background is sung by Motown's session group, The Andantes, and another legendary Motown group, The Four Tops. Co-written (with Sylvia Moy) and co-produced by William "Mickey" Stevenson & Ivy Jo Hunter, the song rose to #22 on Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and #3 on Billboard's Hot R&B singles chart.
The song has the narrator sing of her lover and how much he loves and needs her. Reeves often refers to it as her favorite of all of her recordings. While it didn't appear on her group's regular studio albums, it would be put on their Greatest Hits album.
- Fellow Chicago-based, '60s-era girl group The Lovelites covered the song in the late 1960s. In 1973, Barry Manilow recorded a version on Barry Manilow II. Los Angeles-based singer Leda Grace did a sound-alike version, produced by Randy Jackson. San Francisco-based gospel group The Stovall Sisters did a gospel version, and Aretha Franklin has performed it in concert.
- Lead vocals by Martha Reeves
- Background vocals by The Andantes and The Four Tops
- Written by William "Mickey" Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter and Sylvia Moy
- Produced by William "Mickey" Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter
- Instrumentation by The Funk Brothers
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 378.
- The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 6: 1966 [liner notes]. New York: Hip-O Select/Motown/Universal Records
- "Greatest Hits [Motown] - Martha & the Vandellas | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|