My Dear Marthandan
|My Dear Marthandan|
|Directed by||Pratap Pothen|
|Screenplay by||Pratap Pothen|
|Story by||G. M. Kumar|
|Produced by||Santhi Narayanasamy|
C. T. Manohar
|Dialogue by||R. P. Viswam|
My Dear Marthandan is a 1990 Indian Tamil-language film starring Prabhu and Khushbu. The film was produced by Sivaji Productions and directed by Pratap Pothen. It was remade in Telugu as Raja Vikramarka (1990). The film is loosely based on the 1988 American film Coming to America.
Marthandan lives with his parents in a palace. He sets out to Chennai to find a girl. There he meets "Idea Mani", who is very cunning and tries to make money from the innocent Marthandan in comical ways. He meets a girl named Rani in a bakery and befriends her. The rest of the story is about how he tries to win her over and how he understands the value of money.
- Prabhu as Marthandan
- Khushbu as Rani
- Goundamani as Idea Mani
- S. S. Chandran as Maharaja
- Nizhalgal Ravi as Pankaj
- Kovai Sarala as Maharani
- Venniradai Moorthy as Hotel Owner
- Thyagu as Kattupanni
- Kumarimuthu as Teacher
- Chinni Jayanth
- R. S. Shivaji as Sengodan
- Oru Viral Krishna Rao
- Disco Shanti
- Ramkumar Ganesan (Guest appearance)
|1.||"Oh Alagu Nilavu"||Piraisoodan||Mano|
|2.||"Aaduthu Paar"||Gangai Amaran||Ilaiyaraaja|
|3.||"Illavattam Kai thattum"||Vaali||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki|
|4.||"Kalyana Mapillaikku"||Gangai Amaran||S. P. Sailaja|
|5.||"My Dear Marthandan"||Gangai Amaran||Ilaiyaraaja|
|6.||"Oh Maharaja"||Gangai Amaran||Sasi Rekha|
|7.||"Paakku Vethala"||Vaali||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam|
|8.||"Satham Varamal"||Vaali||Mano, K. S. Chithra|
|9.||"Uttalakadi"||Gangai Amaran||Gangai Amaran, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam|
My Dear Marthandan was released on 24 August 1990. N. Krishnaswamy of The Indian Express wrote, "It has some idealism (message: money cannot buy happiness), it has comical situations abounding and as it is, it is clean, it has engaging music and songs (Ilayaraja) and dance, and it is photographed with an artistry and creativity that only an Ashok Kumar is capable of. It is a technically perfect film that way".
- "Eddie Murphy-starrer 'Coming 2 America' to release across Indian screens on March 5". The New Indian Express. 4 March 2021. Archived from the original on 4 March 2021. Retrieved 31 March 2021.
- Ramanan, V. V. (1 December 2012). "Cinema Quiz". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 22 April 2021. Retrieved 22 April 2021.
- "My Dear Marthandan (1990)". Raaga.com. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "My Dear Marthandan". The Indian Express. 24 August 1990. p. 7.
- Krishnaswamy, N. (31 August 1990). "My Dear Marthandan". The Indian Express. p. 7.