My Favourite Headache
|My Favourite Headache|
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 14, 2000|
|Recorded||The Peasant's Tent and Reaction Studios, Toronto,|
East and West and The Factory Studios, Vancouver, British Columbia,
Studio X, Seattle, Washington, Spring to Summer 2000, Metalworks Studios in Mississauga, Ontario
|Genre||Alternative rock, hard rock|
|Label||Atlantic (outside Canada)|
|Producer||Geddy Lee, Ben Mink, David Leonard|
My Favourite Headache (also published as My Favorite Headache) is the first and only solo album to date by Geddy Lee of the Canadian rock band Rush. The album was released on November 14, 2000, by Anthem Records in Canada and Atlantic Records outside of Canada. Both the title track and "Grace to Grace" received play on mainstream rock radio, and the album itself peaked at No. 52 on the Billboard 200. The release has a Metacritic score of 58.
|The Daily Vault||A|
Although Lee wrote the majority of the album on bass, he was not just writing melody lines, he was also playing chords. In some cases, he multi-tracked basses into different layers of the arrangements.
Lee said of the album: "I think I backed into this project. I've never had a great desire to make an individual statement, and I certainly didn't want any more attention. I satisfy so much of my musical self in the context of Rush, so I don't have any great frustrations from that point of view. But once in awhile, you'd wonder, 'What's like out there? What's it like to work with other people?'".
Lee explaining how he wrote the lyrics for My Favourite Headache: "Most people are like this: They think of stuff during the day. The mind goes to certain places, they remember things, and they try to figure things out. To remind yourself to write that stuff down is a great benefit. Then you come back to it and you analyze it days later, and lyrically shape what you felt when you wrote it down. For me, how I feel about what I wrote down turns into a song."
|1.||"My Favourite Headache"||4:45|
|2.||"The Present Tense"||3:25|
|3.||"Window to the World"||3:02|
|4.||"Working at Perfekt"||5:00|
|6.||"The Angels' Share"||4:33|
|7.||"Moving to Bohemia"||4:25|
|8.||"Home on the Strange"||3:46|
|11.||"Grace to Grace"||4:59|
- Geddy Lee - bass guitar, vocals, guitar, piano, programming, percussion, string arrangements, producer, engineer
- Ben Mink - guitars, violins and violas, programming, string arrangements, producer, engineer
- Matt Cameron - drums
- Jeremy Taggart - drums on "Home on the Strange"
- John Friesen - cellos on "Working at Perfekt"
- Ed Wilson - additional programming
- Chris Stringer - additional percussion
- Waylon Wall - steel guitar on "Window to the World"
- Pappy Rosen - backing vocals on "Slipping"
- David Leonard - producer, engineer, mixing at Metalworks Studios
- Adam Kasper, Dennis Tougas - engineers
- Sam Hofstedt, Sheldon Zaharko, Chris Stringer, Tom Heron, Jeff Elliot, Joel Kazmi, Ian Bodzasi - assistant engineers
- Howie Weinberg - mastering at Masterdisk, New York
|"My Favourite Headache"
|"Grace to Grace"
|"Home on the Strange"
- "My Favorite Headache Billboard Albums". AllMusic. Rovi. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "Reviews for My Favorite Headache". Metacritic. Retrieved 2015-11-29.
- Prato, Greg. "Geddy Lee - My Favorite Headache review". AllMusic. Rovi. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- Rusk, Bruce (2019). "The Daily Vault Music Reviews : My Favourite Headache". dailyvault.com. Retrieved 28 January 2019.