My Generation (Limp Bizkit song)
|Single by Limp Bizkit|
|from the album Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water|
|Released||October 10, 2000|
|Genre||Nu metal, rap metal|
|Songwriter(s)||Fred Durst, Wes Borland, John Otto and Sam Rivers|
|Limp Bizkit singles chronology|
"My Generation" is a song by the American nu metal band Limp Bizkit. It was released in October 2000 as a single from the album Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water. The song was released as the first single simultaneously with "Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle)".
It contains lyrical references to the songs "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N' Roses and "Move Over" by the Spice Girls, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Titanic and even Macromedia's Shockwave Flash plugin. Musically, the song displays the interplay between guitarist Wes Borland and drummer John Otto as the two's musical parts are tightly intertwined in a similar way to how the bass and drums intertwine in Primus, who have influenced Limp Bizkit and toured with them.  In the intro to the song, Fred Durst makes reference to the Mathews Bridge in the band's hometown of Jacksonville, Florida, where numerous people jump off to commit suicide and people fear driving over.  Durst attributed the song's aggressive nature to his mindstate when composing it, which he described as "radical".  In the second verse, he implores the youth of America to "take [his] advice" and to avoid "step[ping] into a big pile of shit".  Durst has affirmed that this line is in reference to a childhood anecdote wherein his father tracked a great deal of the family dog's excrement on the freshly-vacuumed carpet, and lamented his fate in doing so. This greatly affected Durst, who has since opened a dog grooming business so that he and his clients may avoid inadvertently striding into canine refuse/waste.  Guitarist Wes Borland said the song's working title was "Cum on My Shoes" in several interviews around the album's release.
The music video for "My Generation" shows Limp Bizkit performing live on an acrylic glass stage (probably a reference to the line, "the sun don't even shine through our windowpane"), while other scenes show their fans being rebellious outside the Astrodome. During the breakdown of the song, each band member is shown separately, disappearing and reappearing.
The song was released as two different singles (parts) with slightly different covers.
- My Generation (Radio Edit)
- It's Like That Y'All (Non-LP Version)
- Snake In Your Face (Non-LP Version)
- My Generation (Album Version)
- Back O Da Bus (Non-LP Version)
- Faith (LP Version)
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||19|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||23|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||8|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||5|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||23|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||14|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||23|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||15|
|U.S. Billboard Alternative Songs||18|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||33|
- Chesler, Josh (May 18, 2015). "10 Nu-metal Songs That Actually Don't Suck". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved March 13, 2016.
- "Australian-charts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Limp Bizkit – My Generation" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Limp Bizkit – My Generation" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Limp Bizkit – My Generation" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Danishcharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation". Tracklisten. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "Limp Bizkit: My Generation" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "Musicline.de – Limp Bizkit Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Search for Irish peaks
- "Italiancharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Limp Bizkit – My Generation" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation". VG-lista. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- "Polish Singles Chart |".
- "Spanishcharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Limp Bizkit – My Generation". Swiss Singles Chart.