My Man Godfrey (1957 film)
|My Man Godfrey|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Henry Koster|
|Produced by||Ross Hunter|
Eric Hatch (novel)
|Music by||Frank Skinner|
|Cinematography||William H. Daniels|
|Edited by||Milton Carruth|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
My Man Godfrey is a 1957 American CinemaScope Eastmancolor comedy film starring June Allyson and David Niven. It was adapted by Peter Berneis, William Bowers and Everett Freeman, and directed by Henry Koster. The film is a color remake of Gregory La Cava's 1936 screwball comedy of the same name. Allyson played the role created by Carole Lombard in the original version, and Niven took on the role made famous by William Powell. Niven had played the role of Tommy Gray, Godfrey's former classmate, in a 1938 radio version.
The plot begins as a zany heiress uses and then takes pity on a man whom she believes to be homeless. She insists the man come home with her and gives him a job as the eccentric family's butler—much to the chagrin of her father, especially when it becomes clear the girl is falling in love with the fellow. The family's new butler, however, harbors a secret: he is actually as wealthy and, in fact, more well-born than are they.
- June Allyson as Irene [Bullock]
- David Niven as Godfrey
- Jessie Royce Landis as Angelica [Bullock]
- Robert Keith as Mr. [Alexander] Bullock
- Eva Gabor as Francesca [Gray]
- Jay Robinson as Vincent
- Martha Hyer as Cordelia [Bullock]
- Jeff Donnell as Molly
- Herbert Anderson as Hubert
- Eric Sinclair as Brent
- Dabbs Greer as Lieutenant O'Connor
- Fred Essler as Captain
- "My Man Godfrey". FilmAffinity. filmaffinity.com. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "My Man Godfrey". AFI. afi.com. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- UNIVERSAL SUES ACTOR IT OUSTED: Studio Charges O. W. Fischer With Contract Breach in Filming of 'Godfrey' Huxley to Work on Cartoon By THOMAS M. PRYOR Special to The New York Times.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 21 Feb 1957: 30
|This film article about a 1950s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|