My One and Only (song)
"My One and Only" is a song composed by George Gershwin, with lyrics by Ira Gershwin, written for the 1927 musical Funny Face where it was introduced by Fred Astaire, Betty Compton and Gertrude McDonald. It was originally titled "(What Am I Gonna Do) If You Turn Me Down?"
- Johnny Johnson & His Statler Pennsylvanians - Victor 21113; Matrix BVE-41134 (rec. December 2, 1927)
- Whispering Jack Smith - HMV B2863; Matrix Bb14510-3 (rec. September 18, 1928)
- Fred Astaire with Adele Astaire, orchestra conducted by Julian Jones, London, November 28, 1928 (English Columbia 5174)
- Lee Wiley - Sings the Songs of George & Ira Gershwin & Cole Porter (1940), Legendary Song Stylist (1999)
- Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan Sings George Gershwin (1957)
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Sings Gershwin (1950), Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook (1959)
Notes and references
- Billman, Larry (1997). Fred Astaire - A Bio-bibliography. Connecticut: Greenwood Press. pp. 62,236. ISBN 0-313-29010-5.
- "Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings". University of California, Santa Barbara Libraries. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Andrews & Bayly (2000). Catalogue of HMV "B" Series Records. Norfolk, England: City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society Ltd. OCLC 47117798.
|This article about a jazz standard or composition written in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pop standards-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This show tune-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|