My Own Way (album)
|My Own Way|
|Studio album by Jay Sean|
|Released||12 May 2008
(see release history)
|Recorded||2006–2008 (Standard edition)
2008–2009 (Deluxe edition)
|Genre||R&B, Pop, Soul, hip hop|
|Length||52:24 (Standard edition)
77:02 (Deluxe edition)
|Producer||Billy Grant, Rob Stuart and Jay Sean (exec. producers)
Alan Sampson, The Underdogs, J remy, Robert Larow, Duro, DJ Swivel, Claude Kelly, Edwin 'Lil Eddie' Serano, Jared Cotter
|Jay Sean chronology|
|Singles from My Own Way|
My Own Way is the second studio album by British Contemporary R&B singer Jay Sean, released 12 May 2008 on Jayded Records and 2Point9 Records. Recording sessions took place from 2006 to 2009. Production was handled by Jay Sean and several other recording producers, including Jared Cotter, J remy, and DJ Swivel, including others. The album peaked at number six on the UK Albums Chart. It produced three singles and the deluxe edition had one more single. Upon its release, My Own Way has received mixed reviews from critics.
The album was initially named after the title track "Deal With It," but the song ended up being given to Corbin Bleu. However, Sean's background vocals remain on Bleu's version of the track. The song "Deal With It" earned Sean a BMI Songwriter Award  and was later covered by South Korean band Shinee who released it as the 2009 single "Juliette".
The album was renamed My Own Way and was originally slated for a 3 December 2007 release. However, due to a majority of the tracks being leaked it was pushed back numerous times to 31 March 2008 and again to 28 April 2008. Eventually it was released on 12 May 2008.
Speaking in March 2008 to noted UK R&B writer Pete Lewis - Deputy Editor of the award-winning Blues & Soul - Jay explained the thinking behind the album's title: "It's pretty much self-explanatory really. This whole entire project has been like my little baby - in terms of me nurturing it, making it, watching it grow, and having really hands-on creative control. You know, 'I wannt work with THIS person... I want to write a song like THIS... I want this to be the single... I want these video directors'... And everyone around me in my team has been amazing and has just trusted me to call the shots."
The album features production by J remy, Jose E Duran, Robert Larow, Bobby Bass and Alan Sampson. It was recorded in New York and London and mixed by "Supa Engineer Duro" with Jordan "DJ Swivel" Young in New York City. Jared Cotter co-wrote six songs on the album.
- The first single from the album, "Ride It", released on 21 January 2008 and debuted on the UK Singles Chart at #11. It was successful in Eastern Europe, especially in Russia, Turkey and Romania, where it became one of the three best-selling singles of the year. Sean sung a Hindi version of the song for the Indian release of My Own Way.
- "Maybe", the album's second single, released on 21 April 2008 and debuted on the UK Singles Chart at #19. It was also successful in Japan, where it reached #7 on the Japan Hot 100 Singles. A Hindi version sung by Sean was released as part of My Own Way in India. A Mandarin Chinese cover version by Coco Lee has also been released in China.
- The album's third single, "Stay", was released on 7 July but failed to enter the UK Top 40. Sean also sung a Hindi version of the song for the Indian release of My Own Way.
- Deluxe Edition
- "Tonight", was the first single off the re-pack of My Own Way it was released on 26 January 2009.
The album was moderately successful in the UK, reaching #6 on the UK Albums Chart and #1 on the UK R&B Chart. A Hindi version of the album was also released in India. The album sold 300,000 copies in the UK and more than 350,000 copies worldwide. It has been certified platinum in the United Kingdom.
The album received mixed reviews from critics. Paul Clarke of BBC Music noted, "From one angle Ride It – Jay Sean's comeback single from last year – saw the Hounslow-born artist in exactly the same place as he was when he broke through in 2003 with Dance With You: Talking about cruising the clubs and making eyes at the ladies." DesiHits stated that it is "the biggest album to hit the Urban Desi scene of late and just listening to the album stripping away all the hype all the glamour it’s plain to see Jay’s created an album that you can sit back, relax and enjoy."
Angus Batey of The Guardian stated, "My Own Way is a decent record, but erroneously titled...He has lost - not for ever, one hopes - the stuff that made him stand out", in comparison to his experimental debut album Me Against Myself (2004). Sean later responded that the reason he gave up on the Indian-R&B fusion music that he helped popularize is because it had eventually become too common in Asian Underground and Indian pop music.
|1.||"Ride It"||Alan Sampson, Jay Sean, Andre Luis Reyes||3:10|
|2.||"Maybe"||Alan Sampson, Jose Duran||3:10|
|3.||"I Won't Tell" (featuring Daytona)||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jay Sean, J Skaller, R Larow, J Cotter||3:20|
|4.||"Stay"||Alan Sampson, Jay Sean||3:39|
|5.||"Stuck in the Middle" (featuring Jared Cotter)||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jay Sean, J Skaller, R Larow, J Cotter||3:38|
|6.||"Good Enough"||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jay Sean, Nina Woodford, Peter Biker, Karsten Dahlgaard||4:02|
|7.||"Cry"||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jose Duran||4:36|
|8.||"All or Nothing"||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jay Sean, J Skaller, Jared Cotter, R Larow, J Perkins||4:07|
|9.||"Runaway"||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jay Sean||3:48|
|10.||"Waiting"||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jay Sean, J Skaller, R Larow, Claude Kelly||4:06|
|11.||"Used to Love Her"||J-Remy & Bobby Bass, Jay Sean, J Skaller, Jared Cotter, R Larow, Edwin 'Lil Eddie' Serano, J Perkins||3:47|
|12.||"Just a Friend"||Alan Sampson, Jay Sean||3:41|
|13.||"Murder" (featuring Thara)||DJ Swivel, Edwin "Lil Eddie" Serrano, Jose Duran, Thara, Jay Sean||3:59|
|14.||"Easy As 1,2,3"||Alan Sampson, Jay Sean||3:19|
|Japan edition bonus tracks|
|15.||"Maybe (DJ Komori Remix)"||Alan Sampson, Jose Duran||4:37|
|Russia edition bonus Tracks |
|15.||"Ride It (Ishi Hip Hop Mix)"||Alan Sampson, Jay Sean, Andre Luis Reyes||3:21|
|16.||"Ride It (Ishi Desi Mix)"||Alan Sampson, Jay Sean, Andre Luis Reyes||3:20|
|17.||"Maybe (Panjabi Hit Squad Remix)"||Alan Sampson, Jose Duran||3:13|
|18.||"Maybe (Guy Robin Edit)"||Alan Sampson, Jose Duran||4:15|
|19.||"Maybe (Agent X Remix)"||Alan Sampson, Jose Duran||4:51|
|20.||"Ride It (Ishi Hip Hop Mix)"||Alan Sampson, Jay Sean, Andre Luis Reyes||5:59|
My Own Way: Deluxe Edition
On 21 December 2008 at the Mobo Awards Jay Sean confirmed backstage that the "Deluxe Edition" of 'My Own Way' will be released around February 2009. The "Deluxe Edition" was released on 16 February 2009 in the UK was set for release in the U.S. under Cash Money Records, but the album was canceled for U.S. and Jay Sean began to work on a new album for the American market. The lead single is "Tonight" which was released on 26 January 2009. The album also has 2 additional songs, "Never Been In Love" and "I'm Gone", and 4 additional remixes.
- "Ride It" — 3:10
- "Tonight" — 3:42
- "Maybe" — 3:22
- "I Wont Tell" (Remix) (featuring Sway) — 3:38
- "Stay" — 3:40
- "Stuck In The Middle" (featuring Jared Cotter) — 3:38
- "All Or Nothing" — 4:08
- "Never Been In Love" — 3:28
- "Cry" — 4:35
- "Good Enough" — 4:03
- "Used To Love Her" — 3:48
- "Waiting" — 4:06
- "Runaway" — 3:49
- "Just A Friend" — 3:40
- "Murder" — (featuring Thara) 3:58
- "Easy As 1, 2, 3" — 3:21
- "I'm Gone" — 3:16
- "Ride It" (Ishi Hip Hop Remix) — 3:23
- "Maybe" (Panjabi Hit Squad Remix) — 3:14
- "Stay" (Boy Better Know Remix) (featuring Chipmunk, Skepta, Frisco & Jammer) — 3:37
- "Tonight" (FP Radio Edit) — 3:25
|UK Albums Chart||6|
|UK R&B Chart||1|
|United Kingdom||12 May 2008
16 February 2009 (Deluxe)
|India||18 August 2008|
|Poland||22 August 2008|
- "Jay Sean Brings Home a BMI Songwriter Award!". Desi Hits. 10 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "SHINee’s "Juliette" Released!". Allkpop. 17 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- (Korean) Park, Se-yeon. ‘로미오’ 변신 샤이니 ‘줄리엣’ 노래하다..21일 2nd 미니앨범 공개 (Shinee Change into "Romeos" and sing "Juliette"...2nd Mini-Album Released on 21st). Newsen. 18 May 2009. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- Zavvi release date and tracklisting
- Jay Sean interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' April 2008
- Amazon.co.uk: My Own Way: Music: Jay Sean
- "Основные параметры ротации трека на радиостанциях, работающих в системе TOPHIT.RU". Tophitru.com. 14 May 2008. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- (Romanian)The most successful songs in 2008, Romania
- "Japan Hot 100". Billboard charts. 8 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- "2Point9". 2Point9 Records. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- Bill Lamb. "Jay Sean". About.com. Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- on YouTube
- Mawer, Sharon. "My Own Way". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-11-29.
- Clarke, Paul. "Jay Sean My Own Way Review". BBC Music. Retrieved 2009-11-29.
- "Jay Sean - 'My Own Way' Album Review". DesiHits. 12 May 2008. Retrieved 2009-12-19.
- Batey, Angus (25 April 2008). "Jay Sean, My Own Way". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- on YouTube
- "Jay Sean "My own way" (CD+DVD)". 2008-02-22. Retrieved 2014-04-26.
- Jay has made a special hindi version of his hit seller ‘My Own Way’
- Merlin.Pl. "Jay Sean - My Own Way - muzyka - płyty CD i DVD - sklep muzyczny" (in Polish). Merlin.pl. Retrieved 2012-03-02.