My People, My Country
|My People, My Country|
|Mandarin||wǒ hé wǒ de zǔguó|
|Literally||me and my nation|
|Directed by||Chen Kaige|
|Produced by||Huang Jianxin|
|Distributed by||Huaxia Film Distribution|
|Box office||$425.1 million|
My People, My Country (Chinese: 我和我的祖国) is a 2019 Chinese anthology drama film, consisting of seven segments directed by seven directors, Chen Kaige, Zhang Yibai, Guan Hu, Xue Xiaolu, Xu Zheng, Ning Hao, and Wen Muye. It stars many of China's top actors, many in supporting roles and cameos. My People, My Country is produced jointly by Huaxia Film Distribution, Polybona Films and Alibaba Pictures. The film was released in China on September 30, 2019, to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the establishment of the People's Republic of China. It has two sequels, My People, My Homeland (2020) and My Country, My Parents (2021).
The opening segment by director Guan Hu, The Eve (前夜), is about an engineer, Lin Zhiyuan (played by Huang Bo), racing against time to perfect an automatic flag-raising mechanism before the founding ceremony of the People's Republic of China on October 1, 1949.
The third story The Champion (夺冠), directed by Xu Zheng, is about how a young boy from Shanghai named Dong Dong (played by Han Haolin) helped his neighbors watch TV for the China women's national volleyball team's Olympic gold medal win in 1984.
The fourth story Going Home (回归), directed by Xue Xiaolu, is about a Chinese executive delegation and local policemen preparing for the return of Hong Kong from British rule to China in 1997. The 12-second silence between the British and Chinese anthems during the Hong Kong handover ceremony is also reflected in this part.
The fifth story Hello Beijing (北京你好), directed by Ning Hao, is about a taxi driver who gives a ticket to the opening ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics to a boy from the Sichuan earthquake zone though it was intended to be a birthday gift to his aloof son.
The Guiding Star
The sixth story The Guiding Star (白昼流星), directed by Chen Kaige, is about a pair of homeless brothers who witness the landing of the capsule of the Shenzhou 11 crewed spacecraft on November 18, 2016, a moment of national pride that touched them.
One for All
One for All (护航), directed by Wen Muye, follows the story of a top female fighter jet pilot Lü Xiaoran who helps her fellow pilots accomplish a smooth aerial performance at the Military Parade of the 70th Anniversary of the Victory in the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1945.
|1.||"My People, My Country (我和我的祖国)" (Opening theme)||Zhang Li||Qin Yongcheng||Faye Wong|
On March 20, 2019, the producers announced that the film was slated for release on October 1, 2019, during the National Day. On September 6, 2019, it was announced that the film has been advanced to September 30, 2019.
With a total gross of over $425 million, My People, My Country currently sits as the 12th highest-grossing non-English film of all time. The film grossed about 369 million yuan (51.62 million U.S. dollars) on its second day of screening. It grossed one billion yuan in three days. The film earned more than 2 billion yuan on its opening weekend.
- "My People, My Country (2019)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 8, 2019.
- "My People, My Country (2019)". The Numbers. Retrieved November 8, 2019.
- James Marsh (1 October 2019). "My People, My Country film review: jingoistic anthology of communist China's biggest achievements offers competently made vignettes". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Chinese film "My People, My Country" hits American theaters". xinhuanet. 2 October 2019. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Li Si (李思), ed. (3 October 2019). 《我和我的祖国》中"护航"英文翻译被赞太巧妙. 163.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- Xinhuanet (20 March 2019). 电影《我和我的祖国》定档国庆节. Chinanews (in Chinese). Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Wu Ruoxi (武若曦), ed. (6 September 2019). 电影《我和我的祖国》提档9月30日. cri (in Chinese). Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- xinhuanet (2 October 2019). ""My People, My Country" tops Chinese mainland box office". people.cn. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- 电影《我和我的祖国》上映3日票房破10亿. sina (in Chinese). 2 October 2019. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Xu Fan (7 October 2019). "Patriotism pulls audiences to theaters". chinadaily. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- ""My People, My Country" scores 2 bln yuan at Chinese mainland box office". xinhuanet. 6 October 2019. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Chen Shaojie (陈少杰), ed. (6 October 2019). 20亿！《我和我的祖国》上映7天国庆尾端继续领跑. 163.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 7 October 2019.