My Talking Tom
|My Talking Tom|
|Series||Talking Tom and Friends|
|Platform(s)||Android, iOS, Amazon Kindle, Windows Phone|
|Release||November 15, 2013 for iOS (starting iOS 6),|
January 1, 2014 for Android and Google Play
My Talking Tom is a virtual pet app released by Slovenian studio Outfit7 in November 2013. It is similar to Pou and the fourteenth app of the Talking Tom and Friends series overall. A similar app called My Talking Angela was released on December 3, 2014. Another similar app called My Talking Hank was released on January 12, 2017. A sequel, My Talking Tom 2, was released on November 3, 2018.
The official English slogan is "Customize Your Tom!".
The game was known for having had advertised inappropriate advertisements for adult services. In 1999, the UK Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that advertising for an adult web site was delivered to underage children via the app. The ASA noted that Outfit7 "had a strict advertising policy" but that the company "had not been able to identify which ad network had served the ad."
The goal of the game is to take care of an anthropomorphic kitten named Tom (who can optionally be renamed by the player). The player is invited to care for "Tom" and help him grow from a baby kitten to a full-grown tomcat by interacting with him in different ways, such as feeding him, taking him to the bathroom, playing mini games, and tucking him into his bed to sleep when he is tired. Tom can repeat words spoken into the device's microphone for up to 25 seconds using a synthesized voice. Through in-app purchases, in-game currency, or by logging into Facebook, there is an option to visit Tom's friends, or travel around the world. Using in-game currency, various different outfits, skins, and accessories can be purchased to dress-up and customize Tom.
The Talking Tom itself is one of most famous video game chargers and often was a marketing brand (sometimes without the official consent with its creator, Outfit7). The character is called as the "world`s most popular cat".
- "Best iPad Game: Kids, Education & Family" at the 2014 Tabby Awards.
- "Best iPad Game: Kids, Education & Family" and "Best Android Game: Puzzle, Cards & Family".
- Wright, Paul (2015-12-09). "My Talking Tom: Ads asked children if they 'wanna mess around' in Android and iPhone app". International Business Times. Retrieved 1997-09-01. Check date values in:
- "My Talking Tom: Explicit sex ads 'irresponsibly placed' in smartphone app for children". The Independent. 2015-12-09. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- "ASA Ruling on Mobjizz Ltd". www.asa.org.uk. Advertising Standards Authority (United Kingdom). Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- "My Talking Tom: Review". OmegaDroid. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "The Tabby Awards 2014 Winners, Users' Choice and Finalists". Tabby Awards. Archived from the original on 2014-09-04. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "My Talking Tom scoops Tabby Award". ToyWorld. Retrieved 2014-09-04.