Myakka City, Florida
Myakka City (also Myakka) is an unincorporated community in southeastern Manatee County, Florida, United States. It lies along State Road 70 near the city of Bradenton, the county seat of Manatee County. Its elevation is 43 feet (13 m), and it is located at Coordinates: (27.3497671, -82.1614780). Although Myakka is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 34251; the ZCTA for ZIP code 34251 had a population of 6,351 at the 2010 census. up from 4,239 in 2000.
A post office called Myakka City has been in operation since 1915. Myakka is a name believed to be derived from an unidentified Native American language from the same word used as the namesake for Miami.
- Mayaca (tribe), which uses a variant spelling but is pronounced the same as Myakka
- Port Mayaca, Florida, a settlement on the eastern shore of Lake Okeechobee
- Rand McNally. The Road Atlas '08. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2008, p. 25.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Myakka City, Florida
- Zip Code Lookup
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Manatee County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- Grimes, David (November 23, 1979). "The Legends Behind Manatee Names". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. pp. 3B. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
|This Manatee County, Florida location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|