Mycle Schneider (pronounce Michael, /ˈmaɪkəl/) (born 1959 in Cologne) is a Paris-based nuclear energy consultant, and lead author of The World Nuclear Industry Status Reports. He has advised members of the European Parliament on energy issues for more than 20 years. In 1997 he received the Right Livelihood Award.
Mycle Schneider is an energy consultant and nuclear analyst, who has been adviser to members of the European Parliament on energy issues for more than 20 years. From 1998 to 2003, Schneider advised on energy policy for the French environment minister's office and the Belgian minister for energy and sustainable development. Since 2000, he has been a consultant on nuclear issues to the German environment ministry. He has also provided energy consulting for the International Atomic Energy Agency.
Schneider is a member of the International Panel on Fissile Materials, and the nuclear non-proliferation group Independent Group of Scientific Experts (IGSE), which is based at Hamburg University. Since 2004, he has overseen the Environment and Energy Strategies lecture series for the Environmental and Energy Engineering Program at the French Ecole des Mines in Nantes.
Schneider writes numerous publications on safety, proliferation and economic trends of the nuclear industry. He is co-editor of the 2009 book International Perspectives on Energy Policy and the Role of Nuclear Power. His World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2009 was published by the German government. Schneider and Antony Froggatt wrote the Systems for Change report for the Heinrich Böll Foundation in 2010. Also in 2010, Schneider wrote a chapter in the book Nuclear Power’s Global Expansion: Weighing Its Costs and Risks. He has commented extensively on the implications of the 2011 Japanese nuclear accidents.
- Anti-nuclear movement in Canada
- Anti-nuclear movement in France
- Non-nuclear future
- Stephen Thomas
- Amory Lovins
- Monique Sené
- Right Livelihood Award: 1997 – Mycle Schneider
- Nuclear Dead End Bangkok Post, 15 April 2010.
- 2008 World nuclear industry status report: Global nuclear power
- Rob Linke (September 30, 2009). "Radical refit proposal". Telegraph-Journal.
- International Panel on Fissile Materials – Members
- Project Participants - iGSE Members
- Mycle Schneider. The Citizens Science Concept – The Role of Independent and Counter-Expertise
- The World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2007 p. 3.
- International Perspectives on Energy Policy and the Role of Nuclear Power
- Antony Froggatt with Mycle Schneider (2010). "Systems for Change: Nuclear Power vs. Energy Efficiency+Renewables?" (PDF). Heinrich Böll Foundation.
- Mycle Schneider (December 2010). "Nuclear Power Made in France – A Model?". Strategic Studies Institute – US Army War College. pp. 189–277.
- Mycle Schneider (23 March 2011). "Nuclear Cloud Comes With Aura of Arrogance". Bloomberg News.
- Mycle Schneider (March 15, 2011). "Fire in the spent fuel pool of Unit 4 at Fukushima-I". International Panel on Fissile Materials.
- Mycle Schneider (19 April 2012). "Post-Fukushima nuclear allergy spreads in France". The Japan Times.
- Mycle Schneider and Antony Froggatt (September/October 2012 vol. 68 no. 5). "2011-2012 world nuclear industry status report". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. pp. 8–22. Check date values in:
- Mycle Schneider (9 September 2011). "Fukushima crisis: Can Japan be at the forefront of an authentic paradigm shift?". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
- Mycle Schneider, Antony Froggatt, and Steve Thomas (July 2011). "2010-2011 world nuclear industry status report". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 67 (4).
- Mycle Schneider, Antony Froggatt, and Steve Thomas (2011). World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2010-2011: Nuclear Power in a Post-Fukushima World, Worldwatch Institute.
- Mycle Schneider, Steve Thomas, Antony Froggatt, and Doug Koplow (August 2009). The World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2009 Commissioned by German Federal Ministry of Environment, Nature Conservation and Reactor Safety.
- Mycle Schneider, Steve Thomas, Antony Froggatt, and Doug Koplow. (November 2009, Vol. 65 No. 6). 2009 World Nuclear Industry Status Report Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, pp. 1–19
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mycle Schneider.|
- Publications by Mycle Schneider
- The World Nuclear Industry Status Reports website
- Schneider, Mycle (June 3, 2008). "The reality of France's aggressive nuclear power push". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
- Rokkasho plant too dangerous, costly: expert
- Nuclear power and climate change
- We are Betting on The Wrong Horse
- The End of Nuclear, Worldwatch Institute, 2011.