This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cole at the 2017 Phoenix Comicon
|Awards||Compton Crook Award (2013)|
Myke Cole is an American fantasy writer. His work has been published in the United Kingdom, Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic as well as North America. His debut novel, Shadow Ops: Control Point won the 2013 Compton Crook Award.
In addition to writing, he serves in the United States Coast Guard Reserve and works for the NYPD. Myke Cole currently serves as a Lieutenant (O-3) in the US Coast Guard Reserve, commanding a boat squadron responsible for search and rescue and maritime law enforcement in the waters around New York. He was activated to serve during the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, and Hurricanes Sandy and Irene. Myke Cole served in Iraq, two tours as a security contractor and a third as a Department of Defense civilian. Multiple reviewers have commented on his military service, generally when noting the accuracy of his portrayal of life in the military or on a military base.
After completing a second trilogy in the Shadow Ops series with the publication of Siege Line in October 2017, Myke Cole is now working on the Sacred Throne trilogy, a new epic fantasy series unconnected to the Shadow Ops series. The first volume, The Armored Saint, was released in February 2018. He is one of the investigators on the CBS reality show Hunted.
In February 2018, Cole was one of several male authors anonymously accused of potential misconduct in the online comments to a School Library Journal article that discussed the results of a survey on sexual harassment in children's publishing conducted by author Anne Ursu. Cole ultimately offered an apology on his own blog as well as a promise to contribute $500 to the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund. Author Janci Patterson subsequently shared her personal experience with the author, stating that Cole's ‘damn good apology’ for unintended offenses at a publishing dinner 'set her free'.
Shadow Ops series
Shadow Ops trilogy
- Control Point (February 2012)
- Fortress Frontier (February 2013)
- Breach Zone (February 2014)
- Weapons in the Earth (2015), Shadow Ops novelette, published in Operation Arcana (ed. by John Joseph Adams)
The Reawakening trilogy
This is a prequel to the Shadow Ops trilogy.
- Gemini Cell (January 2015)
- Javelin Rain (March 2016)
- Siege Line (October 2017)
The Sacred Throne series
- The Armored Saint (February 2018)
- The Queen of Crows (September 2018)
- The Killing Light (November 2019)
- Shouting Down the Moon (The Best of All Flesh: Zombie Anthology) (reprint) January 2010
- Naktong Flow (Black Gate) Spring 2009
- A Place for Heroes (Weird Tales) January–February 2004
- Blood and Horses (L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume XIX) August 2003
- Shouting Down the Moon (The Book of Final Flesh) July 2003
- Car Trouble (Wildsidhe Chronicles) June 2003
- Legion versus Phalanx: The Epic Struggle for Infantry Supremacy in the Ancient World (October, 2018)
- Centuries Ago, a Man Made a Piece of Armor that Changed the Course of My Life Tor.com (February, 2013)
- How to Violate Your Security Policies: Four Easy Steps on What Not to Do When Guarding Your Security Gates Infosecurity Professional Insights (January 2013)
- Company Commanders: Leaders in and out of Rating U.S. Coast Guard Leadership News (October 2012)
- Ready for the Real Thing U.S. Coast Guard Forum (May 2012)
- Art Imitates War: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in A Song of Ice and Fire Beyond the Wall: Exploring George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire (June 2012)
- A Warrior's Complexity: Orphanage by Robert Buettner Tor.com (January 2012)
- 5 Minutes to Midnight: Warhammer 40,000 and Apocalypse Literature SFSignal (November 2011)
- Why Every Writer Should Join the US Military Johnmiereau.com (July 2011) Reposted at Tor.com (Part II) (January 2012)
- The Kids Are All Right: Greg van Eekhout and Carrie Vaughn on YA and MG Tor.com (June 2011)
- The Analyst's Toolbox Journal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security International (February 2006)
- The Taxonomic Obsession: Proviling as a 4GW Tactical Error On Point: Counterterrorism Journal (January 2006) Reprinted in Journal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security International (August 2006)
- Confronting the 4th Generation Enemy Journal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security International (November 2005)
- Meet the New War, Same as the Old War: Could 5GW Come Full Circle On Point: Counterterrorism Journal (November 2005) Reprinted in Journal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security International (March 2007)
- Comic Book Warning: An Unlikely Insight into Warfare's 5th Generation Small Wars Journal (October 2005)
- Lessons from the Military: Applying 4GW Theory to the Intelligence Community Defense and The National Interest (August 10, 2005) Reprinted in On Point: Counterterrorism Journal (September 9, 2005)
- Steam Power to the People: China Miéville’s Iron Council Strange Horizons (November, 2004)
- Rising Sun vs. Morning Calm: The Birth of a Korean Fencing Tradition Strange Horizons (December, 2002)
- "The Compton Crook Award". Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Wendig, Chuck. "TEN QUESTIONS ABOUT BREACH ZONE". terribleminds. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Register of Officers - 2014" (PDF). United States Coast Guard. U.S. Department of Homeland Security United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "The William E. Colby Military Writers' Symposium". The William E. Colby Military Writers' Symposium. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Strout, Anton. "O&F Podcast, Episode 20: Myke Cole". Once and Future Podcast. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- Landon, Justin. "Shadow Ops: Control Point – Myke Cole". Staffers Book Review. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Cuinn, Carrie. "Book Review: Shadow Ops: Control Point, by Myke Cole". Functional Nerds. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Fergus, Stefan. "Control Point" by Myke Cole (AceRoc)". Civilian Reader.
- "Shadow Ops: Fortress Frontier". Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Shackle, Mike. "Breach Zone by Myke Cole". Fantasy Faction. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Cole, Myke (January 20, 2017). "Go Behind the Scenes of Law Enforcement with Myke Cole and CBS’s Hunted". Tor.com.
- "Writer Winners". L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers and Illustrators of the Future. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- Cole, Myke. "Centuries Ago, a Man Made a Piece of Armor That Changed the Course of My Life". Tor.com. Tor.com. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Myke Cole.|